Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Eagle cap 1160 & Lance 1172 owners....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Eagle cap 1160 & Lance 1172 owners....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in my 3rd week of searching for the right camper for our 2.5 family. Daughter is almost 10.

I am trying to stick to needs vs wants and am in need of advice.

Both the EC 1160 and Lance 1172 are dual slides. I really just need either a full couch across the back and a typical dinette, or a typical dinette and a smaller couch across the back. I cannot see spending a ton for either the OLDER Chalet TS116 or the Host Everest....both have FULL couch across the back.

Host is too much money
Chalet is too **** old and not currently produced past 2013

So, that puts me to

Eagle Cap 1160
Lance 1172

I have to admit, I am terrified to end up with problems with a slide mechanism.

Now that we are into 2019/2020, are the Schwintek slide systems better? It seems EVERYONE uses them? If I've read 25 horror stories, I have yet to see some shinning light.

I think the weight on these units will be close enough for me, so I'm out for a system that last for a while!

Do any of the EC 1160 owners on here have any input?
Do any of the Lance 1172 owners have any input?

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel with 2 kids and the 1191 fills the need, might even be able to find one with the rear tent option if you do summer camping only.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really only want info about the models I posted. Thanks anyway.

* This post was edited 08/12/19 03:51pm by JTLance *

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was shopping for ours the Host and the Eagle Cap were pretty much same cost for equal units. Of course sticker price and what you should pay are different numbers. The Schwintek slides and the issues people were having with them at that time was a big determination in our choice.

Lance is now owned by REV group. I have heard some grumblings about quality. That would be my research on the Lance. Lance has a good reputation but now that they are owned by a conglomerate has quality and service changed? Might be good to spend some time in one of the lance owners groups (and EC as well)

I did a fair amount of my research between the 2 you are looking at. Functionally the Eagle Cap would be my choice with Host out of the picture. EC has a more wide open floor plan, bigger tanks, bigger fridge, more storage than the Lance.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

When I was shopping for ours the Host and the Eagle Cap were pretty much same cost for equal units. Of course sticker price and what you should pay are different numbers. The Schwintek slides and the issues people were having with them at that time was a big determination in our choice.

I did a fair amount of my research between the 2 you are looking at. Functionally the Eagle Cap would be my choice with Host out of the picture. EC has a more wide open floor plan, bigger tanks, bigger fridge, more storage than the Lance.

You pretty much nailed what I know so far...

Man, there really isn't squat in the EC forums on ANYTHING newer than 2015.

The Lance (I own one now...I really rather get the EC for the tanks and fridge alone!

Have the slide issues been tamed?
I really like the Azdel (no water issues that will rot) in the Lance. REALLY wished EC did that too.

Thanks for your input.

Eagle Cap 1160
[image]

Lance 1172
[image]

* This post was edited 08/12/19 10:17pm by JTLance *

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTLance wrote:

work2much wrote:

You pretty much nailed what I know so far...

Man, there really isn't squat in the EC forums on ANYTHING newer than 2015.

The Lance (I own one now...I really rather get the EC for the tanks and fridge alone!

Have the slide issues been tamed?
I really like the Azdel (no water issues that will rot) in the Lance. REALLY wished EC did that too.

Thanks for your input.

FWIW; We are on our 2nd AMLRV camper. Both have been great and trouble free. Forget which mechanism our slide has...but no troubles.

Good luck, Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

RobG

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd pick the EC 1160 given the two. It has a wardrobe next to the fridge that the 1172 lacks. The 1172 has about the least amount of storage I've ever seen in a truck camper. Maybe that's why I see SO many of them on the used market.

I used to love Lance, but I think they've really lost it the last few years.

2019 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
2006 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler (live in it fulltime)
2005 Dodge RAM 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4 SLT 6sp
A quad, a few motorcycles, and a dog.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been quite disappointed in Lance quality control (my camper is a 2014). I've taken it to the Lance Repair facility in Lancaster, CA and my opinion of those folks is very poor.

The Schwintek slide system is fine - it's the installation of it that is usually at fault. But Schwintek gets the blame. Properly installed, it works good.

After my experience with Lance, never again.

av8rds

Princeton, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a 2015 1160.

I think the subtle differences in the interior of the 1160 over the Lance make the EC a much better interior. The floor plan of the EC is IMO the best over anything out there. Additionally the tank size in the EC was a a big part in why I chose the EC over the Lance. Lance seems to have forgotten the boondockers.

That being said I did have a BUNCH of fit and finish problems with my EC to include the slide, I never should have let it get off the lot but I was blinded by my excitement.

I had some problems with the slide in the beginning because of operator error i.e. not letting the slide go all the way in or out unlike the previous 2 campers I had had where I could stop part way. The Schwintek motors have to stay in sync. Schwintek had some good videos on Youtube that include operation and maintenance. I think these are critical for an owner because my dealer was 100% WRONG on how to lube the slides. Additionally I started to have design problems where the track would grab the seals doing damage to it as well as rollers not lining up/touching the guides.

Finally not having a mechanism for emergency retraction/extension is a huge concern of mine. I didnt notice it while I was buying it as my previous 2 campers had a way to crank the slide in and out/never thought about it when I was buying the EC. For someone who often is alone a slide stuck out would be dang near impossible to get back in the way Schwinteck wants you to.

I'd love to buy an EC 960 but my fear of Schwinteck has kept me from pulling the trigger

'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AV8RDS

That is exactly why I am paralyzed with fear. Your post is spot on. The only slides Ive ever had were on two other campers and both were flawless and both were NOT schwintek's.

Do you think there is a production year that may have many of the issues worked out?

I can see 2017-18 as a target?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Eagle cap 1160 & Lance 1172 owners....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.