cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Miata ND

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I think there are at least TWO Miata ND owners here who RV tow their cars.

IF so, would you please PM me? I've got a couple of questions.

Thanks,

Tim
16 REPLIES 16

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the clarification on model years and their notation, Tim. Also good info on the 5 speed transmissions. I have had a suspicion that the person who had all the trouble was doing something wrong, your answer kind of confirms it.

Ed

Conrad58
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
Conrad58 wrote:
Tim

Thanks for your post and the info on the model years.

Are you saying that Mazda didn't produce a Miata in 1999?

Yes... That is what I was saying, BUT I was wrong.

There was no 1998 Production Year. What cars were produced were sold as 1999s.

Tim

Thanks for the clarification Tim.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Conrad58 wrote:
Tim

Yes... That is what I was saying, BUT I was wrong.

There was no 1998 Production Year. What cars were produced were sold as 1999s.

Tim

Conrad58
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
>>>Forgive my ignorance but (what) is a Miata ND?

There are 4 generations of Miatas:
NA = 1989-1998 (No 1999 year)
NB = 2000-2006
NC = 2007-2015
ND = 2016-2019

>>>I heard of some folks who towed one with a 5 speed manual though, and they had all kinds of transmission problems

Ed, I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles and have two friends who have towed 5-speeds over 50,000 and 60,000, miles with no issues.

In the past 12 years, I have been in contact with more than 100 NA & NB 5-speed owners who are flat towing their cars. I have never heard of anyone with a transmission problem.

IF you know of someone who has had a 5-speed problem, I would like to get in touch with them.

Tim

Conrad58
Explorer
Explorer
hp0617 wrote:
Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been on here for a few weeks.

I am flat towing a 2016 ND Miata. I have the Roadmaster baseplate, Blue Ox towbar, and Stay in Play brake controller. I installed all of that myself. I got tripped up on the lights and ran out of time so I had a hitch shop fix the lights for $300.

I researched a lot before towing the ND and the conclusion I found was that you need to leave the car in neutral and idling while towing to avoid burning up the transmission (6 speed manual). Iโ€™m not thrilled about this but I have pulled it over 3,000 miles this past month with no issues. The good news is the mileage pegs out at 99.9 mpg while idle towing.

Thanks for the reply.

How did you come to the conclusion that the ND has to be running while being towed? I've seen other posts on the Miata site that claim otherwise.

I'm trying to uncover the facts and not anecdotal info.

Conrad58
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but is a Miata ND? Regarding towing, we towed a 1999 Miata with a 6 speed manual transmission and never had a problem. I heard of some folks who towed one with a 5 speed manual though, and they had all kinds of transmission problems, so I concluded that 6 speeds are okay, but 5 speeds aren't.

Ed

Thanks for your input Ed, I appreciate it.

I'm sorry but your logic is flawed.

Just because you towed your '99 w/6 speed manual without issues does not mean that every 6 speed transmission can be flat towed. Models change from year to year and sometimes they even change within a model year. Your '99 6 speed is almost assuredly different from a '16 6 speed.

The same flawed logic also applies to your comment about all 5 speeds not being able to be towed...

hp0617
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been on here for a few weeks.

I am flat towing a 2016 ND Miata. I have the Roadmaster baseplate, Blue Ox towbar, and Stay in Play brake controller. I installed all of that myself. I got tripped up on the lights and ran out of time so I had a hitch shop fix the lights for $300.

I researched a lot before towing the ND and the conclusion I found was that you need to leave the car in neutral and idling while towing to avoid burning up the transmission (6 speed manual). Iโ€™m not thrilled about this but I have pulled it over 3,000 miles this past month with no issues. The good news is the mileage pegs out at 99.9 mpg while idle towing.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
>>>Forgive my ignorance but (what) is a Miata ND?

There are 4 generations of Miatas:
NA = 1989-1998 (No 1999 year)
NB = 2000-2006
NC = 2007-2015
ND = 2016-2019

>>>I heard of some folks who towed one with a 5 speed manual though, and they had all kinds of transmission problems

Ed, I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles and have two friends who have towed 5-speeds over 50,000 and 60,000, miles with no issues.

In the past 12 years, I have been in contact with more than 100 NA & NB 5-speed owners who are flat towing their cars. I have never heard of anyone with a transmission problem.

IF you know of someone who has had a 5-speed problem, I would like to get in touch with them.

Tim

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive my ignorance but is a Miata ND? Regarding towing, we towed a 1999 Miata with a 6 speed manual transmission and never had a problem. I heard of some folks who towed one with a 5 speed manual though, and they had all kinds of transmission problems, so I concluded that 6 speeds are okay, but 5 speeds aren't.

Ed

Conrad58
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
Well... I didn't hear from anybody so I bit the bullet and (personally) installed a Roadmaster base plate on a 6-speed 2019 Miata ND over the weekend.

Now... We'll go-a-tow and see if anything breaks.

Tim

Tim,

How did this project go for you? I'm planning on doing the same thing except with a 2016 Miata. I don't have the car yet but I'm shopping.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck Tim...

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Well... I didn't hear from anybody so I bit the bullet and (personally) installed a Roadmaster base plate on a 6-speed 2019 Miata ND over the weekend.

Now... We'll go-a-tow and see if anything breaks.

Tim

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Tim did you try sending them a PM?

I don't know who they are.

I have searched my past PMs (here) and didn't see the reference to them that I was looking for.

My personal Email client crashed last April and I lost all of my personal Email messages dating back to 2012. I had an Email folder for them, but that is now gone.

Tim

Y-Guy
Tim did you try sending them a PM?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon