Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Towing a Miata ND
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Towing a Miata ND

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
hp0617

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been on here for a few weeks.

I am flat towing a 2016 ND Miata. I have the Roadmaster baseplate, Blue Ox towbar, and Stay in Play brake controller. I installed all of that myself. I got tripped up on the lights and ran out of time so I had a hitch shop fix the lights for $300.

I researched a lot before towing the ND and the conclusion I found was that you need to leave the car in neutral and idling while towing to avoid burning up the transmission (6 speed manual). I’m not thrilled about this but I have pulled it over 3,000 miles this past month with no issues. The good news is the mileage pegs out at 99.9 mpg while idle towing.

* This post was edited 09/05/19 09:07pm by hp0617 *

Conrad58

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eheading wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but is a Miata ND? Regarding towing, we towed a 1999 Miata with a 6 speed manual transmission and never had a problem. I heard of some folks who towed one with a 5 speed manual though, and they had all kinds of transmission problems, so I concluded that 6 speeds are okay, but 5 speeds aren't.

Ed

Thanks for your input Ed, I appreciate it.

I'm sorry but your logic is flawed.

Just because you towed your '99 w/6 speed manual without issues does not mean that every 6 speed transmission can be flat towed. Models change from year to year and sometimes they even change within a model year. Your '99 6 speed is almost assuredly different from a '16 6 speed.

The same flawed logic also applies to your comment about all 5 speeds not being able to be towed...

Conrad58

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hp0617 wrote:

Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been on here for a few weeks.

I am flat towing a 2016 ND Miata. I have the Roadmaster baseplate, Blue Ox towbar, and Stay in Play brake controller. I installed all of that myself. I got tripped up on the lights and ran out of time so I had a hitch shop fix the lights for $300.

I researched a lot before towing the ND and the conclusion I found was that you need to leave the car in neutral and idling while towing to avoid burning up the transmission (6 speed manual). I’m not thrilled about this but I have pulled it over 3,000 miles this past month with no issues. The good news is the mileage pegs out at 99.9 mpg while idle towing.

Thanks for the reply.

How did you come to the conclusion that the ND has to be running while being towed? I've seen other posts on the Miata site that claim otherwise.

I'm trying to uncover the facts and not anecdotal info.

Conrad58

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:

>>>Forgive my ignorance but (what) is a Miata ND?

There are 4 generations of Miatas:
NA = 1989-1998 (No 1999 year)
NB = 2000-2006
NC = 2007-2015
ND = 2016-2019

>>>I heard of some folks who towed one with a 5 speed manual though, and they had all kinds of transmission problems

Ed, I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles and have two friends who have towed 5-speeds over 50,000 and 60,000, miles with no issues.

[image]

In the past 12 years, I have been in contact with more than 100 NA & NB 5-speed owners who are flat towing their cars. I have never heard of anyone with a transmission problem.

IF you know of someone who has had a 5-speed problem, I would like to get in touch with them.

Tim

Thanks for your post and the info on the model years.

Are you saying that Mazda didn't produce a Miata in 1999?

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Conrad58 wrote:

Tim

Yes... That is what I was saying, BUT I was wrong.

There was no 1998 Production Year. What cars were produced were sold as 1999s.

Tim

Conrad58

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:

Conrad58 wrote:

Tim

Yes... That is what I was saying, BUT I was wrong.

There was no 1998 Production Year. What cars were produced were sold as 1999s.

Tim

Thanks for the clarification Tim.

eheading

Lakeland, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the clarification on model years and their notation, Tim. Also good info on the 5 speed transmissions. I have had a suspicion that the person who had all the trouble was doing something wrong, your answer kind of confirms it.

Ed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Towing a Miata ND
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS