cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southeast Texas to the Smoky Mountains

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! We just purchased our first RV! A 24 foot 1991 Ford Ultra Class C. We have taken it out on a couple small trips and worked out some kinks. We have also totally remodeled the interior and had a blast doing that.

Now I need your help and sage advice. This Christmas we are heading to the Smoky Mountains from Brenham, Texas, meeting our friends from Minnesota in Nashville and caravanning together from there to the Smokies. They have a 29 foot class C of some sort but I forget exactly. We can leave on Friday the 20th when my husband gets home from work around 6PM or we can leave bright and early on Saturday the 21st. We need to be home by the 1st as my husband has to go back to work the next day.

Ideally we would like to make a loop and not come home the same way we get there. I've looked at Tom Sawyer in the Mississippi as a possible stop over for Memphis. I am intrigued by the barges coming by. I haven't a clue where to stay in Nashville or what part of the Smokies. We'd like to spend Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after in the Smokies at least. I have no clue about routes back and forth. What roads are good? Do we stay on interstates the whole time? How do we sight see in Nashville? Is our 24 footer small enough to drive and park? We want to tour Ryman and the Country Music Hall of Fame.

It will be my husband and I (in our 40s - I am in very fit and active and he is slightly less so), our daughters 23 and 16 and our son 7 years old. Our kids are used to super long days in the car so shorter days and on board ammenities are going to be a treat. All the kids are nature and history lovers. Hiking, biking, very active out door type kids usually up for anything. We will also have our dogs with us and if you have a recommendation on a doggy day care for Nashville I'm all ears.

So basically I need information and your expert advice on routes, campgrounds and any interesting activities. I know you guys are a wealth of good infomation.
17 REPLIES 17

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
The Camping World in Chattanooga is ok but just a sleep stopover. I would go to Hermitage for sure. Good history lesson.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
Would you suggest I skip Chattanooga on the way home and instead go back thru Nashville and see the Hermitage? We have taken the kids to see the Arch in St. Louis a few years ago on the way home from Milwaukee. If we went back the exact way we can I might could add a night in Hot Springs. We love it there. Been many times and the kids always ask if we can go back and get the good water.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
one_strange_texan wrote:
ken56 wrote:
I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

I, too, would recommend the Hermitage. I did see that Nashville site when I was there on a short visit (not camping). However, to set the record straight, it was Andrew Jackson's home, not Jefferson's. Jackson came a few Presidents after Jefferson. Jefferson's home is in Virginia, Monticello.

OMG, you are so very right, my mistake. Old people malady...and I am only 63. Lol, I was just thinking about St. Louis and the arch and it's Gateway to the West museum. That too is worth while to stop and actually read everything although it could take you all day.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

I, too, would recommend the Hermitage. I did see that Nashville site when I was there on a short visit (not camping). However, to set the record straight, it was Andrew Jackson's home, not Jefferson's. Jackson came a few Presidents after Jefferson. Jefferson's home is in Virginia, Monticello.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Chattanooga you might look at the Camping World for a place to overnight. There are slim choices for RV parks in the area. The drive from Pigeon Forge to Chatt. is roughly 3 hours. I would take 321 out of PF over to Maryville and then 411 down to Ocoee and then 74 over to Cleveland, you can pick up 75 to the Camping World at exit 1. It's close to everything you will want to see. It's not deluxe but will serve the purpose.

There are no "dinner shows" at Dollywood. There are the shows and they have separate restaurants. Look up their website if you haven't yet. The best dinner show in town is Dolly's Stampede, formerly Dixie Stampede. They just opened the Pirate show this past spring too but I have not been to it. I hear it is fun and good entertainment.

Your itinerary sounds very doable. I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

Thank you very much for the route information. That is very helpful .I did mean Dixie Stampede and not Dollywood. I think I've been researching so much my brain is fried.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Shallow Creek RV Park near Gladewater, TX is just north of I-20 Exit 583 on HWY 135. Voted best RV Park in East Texas and is a very nice place
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Chattanooga you might look at the Camping World for a place to overnight. There are slim choices for RV parks in the area. The drive from Pigeon Forge to Chatt. is roughly 3 hours. I would take 321 out of PF over to Maryville and then 411 down to Ocoee and then 74 over to Cleveland, you can pick up 75 to the Camping World at exit 1. It's close to everything you will want to see. It's not deluxe but will serve the purpose.

There are no "dinner shows" at Dollywood. There are the shows and they have separate restaurants. Look up their website if you haven't yet. The best dinner show in town is Dolly's Stampede, formerly Dixie Stampede. They just opened the Pirate show this past spring too but I have not been to it. I hear it is fun and good entertainment.

Your itinerary sounds very doable. I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Im a big fan on leaving after work and gettin 4-5 hours down the road. I'll pack the day before, and when I get home, change clothes and hit the road.

Also have you found a campsite in Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg yet?? Many of the campgrounds close after the fall leaf season and the open back up in the spring. Also between Christmas and New Years is a really busy time there. We went the day after Christmas a few years ago, and the area is packed, but we had a great time.

Yeah I was thinking of leaving Friday night. Not sure about that as it will be dark before my husband even gets home from work and I don't know where to stop at 11PM at night. No I haven't found a campsite. That's why I asked here. I'm trying to figure it out and make some reservations.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Im a big fan on leaving after work and gettin 4-5 hours down the road. I'll pack the day before, and when I get home, change clothes and hit the road.

Also have you found a campsite in Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg yet?? Many of the campgrounds close after the fall leaf season and the open back up in the spring. Also between Christmas and New Years is a really busy time there. We went the day after Christmas a few years ago, and the area is packed, but we had a great time.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is what I tentatively have. This is a very very very rough draft and I have much to research.

December 21 leave our home at 7am and drive to Little Rock, AR. Hoping to get a reservations at Downtown Riverside RV Park for one night.

December 22 drive to Nashiville. I am still researching campgrounds but will stay 2 nights. Tour Ryman and Country Music Hall of Fame.

December 24th drive to the Smokies for 3 nights - everything is yet to be determined here. Possibly dinner show at Dollywood and Christmas Lights.

December 27th drive to Chattanooga - 1 night, see Rock City. I remember seeing this as a child. I'd like to go back. Need to find camground.

December 28th drive to Memphis - 1 night at Tom Sawyer

December 29th drive to Hot SPrings - 1 or 2 nights. I'd like to stay at the national park but probably need to look elsewhere

30th or 31st - drive to somewhere in NE Texas. Maybe Atlanta SP or somewhere around there. Head home the next day.

This gives us a couple long days to get there, Then time to relax and enjoy and finally liesurely drive home and see things and stay places we havent before.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Shady Pines Rv Park on Hwy 67 just west of Texarkana is usually our first stop. Tom Sawyers is good. After that it depends on how fast you want to get there.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I knew I could count on you all for some excellent advice! It absolutely makes sense to me now to stop in Little Rock on the way there and Memphis on the way home. I will check out all of the suggestions of routes and rv parks and let you all know what we decide. My kids will love the places all decorated for Christmas!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Maximize your time in your destinations and do the most direct route to Nashville. Take into account that it gets dark by 5pm in December. Yogi Bear is a nice park to stay in. We have stayed there a few times. Not sure that taking the C into the city is a good idea though. Christmas is a busy time in both Nashville and Pigeon Forge and traffic can be heavy. Most things to see there are within a good walking distance. Maybe rent a car or van for the day?

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are all decked out for Christmas for sure. We live near by and play tourist ourselves during the holidays. Lots to do, lots of dinner shows, always Dollywood to do which goes all out for Christmas but it's pricey. Pine mountain is a good option to stay at because the Mianstay Suites allows you to use their indoor pool, same owners of the RV park and hotel.

Best route is straight down 40 through Knoxville to exit 407. Weather should be good yet at that time but you never know. We don't get terrible winters here and snow usually stays in the mountains for the most part. Again you may want to rent a van to get around instead of taking the C everywhere.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
In Nashville, we really like this place, because it is not in the tourists area down on Music row. However, the ones there are nice also, an we have had not complaints when we stayed at those. In Memphis, Tom Sawyer is the place, but check with them to make sure they are not in the river. It has happened several times recently.
Crossville, TN on I-40 is a good inbetween stop, Bean Pot campground is very nice, with all features you could need.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.