cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVCampsite only 30amp - can we run AC in the Class A

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
We want to run the AC but Hubby is worried that our 50amp Class A won't run off a 30 amp connection with the converter from our 50 amp plug - the camp only offers 30 amps
Ted and Kath
2021 Grand Design Reflection 260 RD 150 Series
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies
15 REPLIES 15

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The 2 differences between my 30A TT and my current 50A classA is one more AC and both have heat strips. The TT had an electric water heater and all the same 110 electric features as my MH.

So just run one AC and keep the water heater on LP.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowermech has a valid point. Let's assume the A/Cs draw 12A so that's 24A or exactly 80% of 30A which is the NEC recommended 80% maximum sustained load. Are their other loads?

Running multiple high draw appliances can be a **** shoot for those that don't or can't monitor the amps or the voltage. Most RVers are aware of burned or overloaded 30A pedestal plugs which can be due to both user and owner maintenance.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has two air conditioners.
It also has a 30 amp power supply cord.
We run both A/C units at the same time frequently..
We also have a selector switch so we can run either the water heater or microwave, but never both.
It works just fine.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually IMHO a 50A RV should have a PI HW50C power protector. A open or partially open 50A neutral will cause very high voltage and let the smoke out. My remote is inside and displays 10 different errors that cause it to shut down power. And it displays amps, voltage and frequency on any 20A, 30A or 50A pedestal plug.

Bob

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
WE do it quite often. One AC only, plus one other device such as a hair dryer or coffeepot. TV is usually OK. but like said, get a plug in voltmeter, and just watch it for low voltage.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're on 30A enough that I added a independent 20A circuit that can be plugged into the 20A pedestal plug. You could just run an extension cord through a window for say a coffee maker, etc.

This provides 30A+20A. A 50A pedestal supplies 50A+50A or 100A @120V.

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
With a little planning you can still use a hot plate or other cooking device.

I have a dedicated inverter powered outlet in the kitchen. So when power resources are low, I use that.

I do have a load support inverter/charger, but be aware that load support is NOT voltage support. So watch the system voltage carefully.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can run one A/C 2 .. Well I've done it for proof of concept for a few minutes but at 27 amps the breaker may trip.

If you run both you have to turn off everythign else NO microwave No water heater NO electric cooking TV's may be ok and give it an hour or so before you fire up the 2nd one to let the converter charge the batteries.

But generally the rule is ONE A/C Also turn off water heater if using microwave.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've run our 50 amp 5er on 30 amps a few times at campsites that did not have a 50 amp hookup. Power management is all you have to do.

If you have a gas/electric water heater, flip it on gas.
You can run one air conditioner, should be, with absolutely no problem, but not both at the same time.
To help save power management a little, if you have a gas/electric refrigerator, flip it to gas also.
If running the microwave, turn the air conditioner off while it's running. When done with the microwave, turn the air conditioner back on.

If running an appliance, like a 1500 watt hair dryer, or a 1500 watt electric skillet or griddle, run them on a completely separate extension cord plugged into the campground 20 amp socket (like in a house).

If you do these simple steps, you'll have no issues with power management. And you can run either air conditioner, just not both at the same time.

Folks do this type of power management all the time, successful on 30 amp with 50 amp RV's.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
As others have already said, yes you can run one AC with the 30 amp. I see in your signature that you have several pets. I would want to stay around the coach for at least one afternoon before leaving your pets in the coach for an afternoon. Sometimes running on 30 amp can have a learning curve for those who are used to using 50 amp. It is easy to forget to switch the water heater to propane instead of electric, or the fridge may switch back to electric because it hasn't been run on propane for a while, etc. Best to work those things out before leaving the pets.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely! You can run other stuff as well. I suggest trying to get any other major draw shut down first and then start the A/C. After the A/C is up and running the amps will settle down and you can go about using 1 or 2 other high draw items as well. If you have an amp meter keep in mind that about 24 amps is going to be max for any extended period of time before the parks breaker trips.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can run both ONE A/C and the converter/charger on 30A provided the charger and other equipment amp draw is limited. My charger can draw 11A AC with low batteries and/or a lot of DC power. However I can reduce the charger capacity down to 10% if required. It's not a big problem as the 30A CB will trip and then you know to turn some stuff off.

We've been on 30A recently at several CGs and we are careful about using high draw appliances like A/C, HW, MW, etc. Hair dryers are another popular high draw appliance.

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It can be done--but it is best to monitor the voltage. At 107 volts I shut down the roof air.

Then I add my autoformer and the voltage goes back up. I limit the input amps to 24 (80% of 30).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can run one A/C with a 30 amp dogbone connector. I've done it several times.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes