cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep Death wobble

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this one Jeep is planning to offer a free fix.
Jeep
10 REPLIES 10

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Historically death wobble on multiple brands has been lack of caster. Yes, tightening up clearances with new parts helps as does a steering damper (which just tries to control the wobble) but, in general, solid front axles require 5 to 7 degrees of caster.

I have heard (or read) that if you toe it in a little that it takes out the death wobble. This is the first I have heard of camber.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2019 JL wrangler is not included according to the bulletin. They "claim" its from the front dampener.
When it goes in for the free 5K oil change we shall see.

I drove my 08 JK 150K miles and it never wobbled, not even tried to wobble. The JL"s built in late 2018 reporting wobbles, the 2019 JL no reported wobbles.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
DougE wrote:
Historically death wobble on multiple brands has been lack of caster. Yes, tightening up clearances with new parts helps as does a steering damper (which just tries to control the wobble) but, in general, solid front axles require 5 to 7 degrees of caster.

NOT in the case of the late model Cherokee

The "late model Cherokee" isn't a solid front axle.

The article was about the Wrangler JL, not the Cherokee.

I know, which is why I pointed out that his comment is irrelevant.

I just got back from a 20 mile ride in my straight axle K5 with 37" tires. 1/8" of toe-in, aligned with a tape measure, and never even a hint of death wobble.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, Jeep does not like to call it "death wobble". Not a very consumer friendly name. And only a handful of wranglers suffer from it. He percentage is very low compared to the numbers sold.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
DougE wrote:

The article was about the Wrangler JL, not the Cherokee.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
DougE wrote:

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Sounds like a band-aid fix when all you really need to do is insure the steering box bolts are tight and tie rod ends are in good shape. Called preventive maintenance.

NOT TRUE. !! the newer Cherokee sedans have computer assisted steering. with out the electronic patch chord to power up the computer they will not tow correctly.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Between RVs

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a band-aid fix when all you really need to do is insure the steering box bolts are tight and tie rod ends are in good shape. Called preventive maintenance.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB