cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocala National Forest RV campgrounds and Jeep Trails

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Can you guys give your thoughts on RV campgrounds in Ocala? I want to go trail riding there with my Jeep and would like to figure out which RV campground is the best as far as ease of access for a large motor home, hook ups and proximity to the trails. Also what trails would you recommend? Thanks.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
12 REPLIES 12

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Salt Springs can handle a 40' MH well and have FHU. It's more like a big feild of site rows with having some trees but not that many.

Juniper Springs is a much nicer pleasant and prettier well forested really nice CG but as said not FHU or any HU's at all but has a good Bathhouse centrally located. Has a dump station just outside the 2 loop entrances with potable water also. Roads are all paved as are the sites for an RV and vehicle. Most all use their blue lagoon to empty their holding tanks as it just a short distance to the dump sataion t pull them behind a vehicle on the paved roads. However, many of the sites may be a real squeeze for a 40'er with a toad. We stayed a month or so for 4 years at Juniper Springs CG and loved it. Just recharge your batteries each day with a QUIET generator but can't be run at night. Having adequate solar will sure help but doesn't recharge much if cloudy and zero charge at nightime. A QUIET around 2000 watt generator is more than adequate and some were using 1000 watt Honda's to recharge their batteries and it worked fine for them.

Last time we were to Alexander Springs (about 6 years ago) the roads to get there were long, gravel and dirt, and quite dusty, and not very smooth at all. Don't know if they have paved them since. No Hookups like at Juniper.

I assume the Ocala NF still has much of it restricted as it's used for a practice bombing range. They can be very loud and shakes the RV's in the CG's as they are not many miles south of highway 40 east of Ocala. Never had them bomb at night.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
lap527 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Silver River SP is nice, we haven't camped there. Have they converted that park to FHU yet? Juniper Springs NF CG is closer to the trails but I'm sure it's no utilities. The same for Alexander Springs. Salt Springs is a very popular park too.

They converted some of the sites at the Silver River to FHU but not all. The FHU sites are almost always taken first as you can imagine. It's still a very nice park.

We've gone hiking there several times, a very nice park on the crystal clear Silver River. It's less than 50 miles from our home so we haven't camped there.

15 minutes for us...lol!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Iโ€™ve read that on other posts.
Whatโ€™s the problem with camping close to home?
We camp close to home often.

Nothing wrong with it.

We do it occasionally but tend to do some State Parks with springs like Manatee SP. Or beach state parks which work out to be more than 50 miles. And these short run camping trips tend to be shake down trips before a longer trip. I think this may change tho as my wife nears retirement and we both have more free time.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve read that on other posts.
Whatโ€™s the problem with camping close to home?
We camp close to home often.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
lap527 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Silver River SP is nice, we haven't camped there. Have they converted that park to FHU yet? Juniper Springs NF CG is closer to the trails but I'm sure it's no utilities. The same for Alexander Springs. Salt Springs is a very popular park too.

They converted some of the sites at the Silver River to FHU but not all. The FHU sites are almost always taken first as you can imagine. It's still a very nice park.

We've gone hiking there several times, a very nice park on the crystal clear Silver River. It's less than 50 miles from our home so we haven't camped there.
Superbumper

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Silver River State Park was renamed Silver Springs State Park in 2013 when the state took over operation of the springs.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Salt Springs is FHU. Wilderness RV Park is good.
Check Ocala Jeep Club. They organize outings randomly.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Superbumper

dedmiston
Freightguy wrote:
Can you guys give your thoughts on RV campgrounds in Ocala? I want to go trail riding there with my Jeep and would like to figure out which RV campground is the best as far as ease of access for a large motor home, hook ups and proximity to the trails. Also what trails would you recommend? Thanks.

Hi Freightguy. If you don't find what you're looking for here, you might want to post over in the Toy Hauler forum. We don't have a ton of members in Florida, but it's still a pretty big group. Many of the Toy Hauler members are off-roaders and know lots of the hidden corners around the country.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Silver River State park
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't comment on the campgrounds, only that there are many of them. They are too close for us to use.

There are also many trails, we've been up and down a number. For us tho they aren't that interesting just typical mid Florida scrub forest and palmettos. There are a few lakes and ponds. We prefer mountain trails, probably since we don't have any here...heh. But the trails themselves tend to be deep sugar sand in many places so be ready for that. We had no trouble using 4WD tho.
Superbumper