cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 way socket not working

Corner3
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - 1st time camper owner here & having some trouble with my pickup. Whenever I plug my 7 way plug into the socket of my pickup I have no lights/brakes on my travel trailer. I plugged into a relatives truck to make sure the outlet on the travel trailer was good & it worked. So I’ve pinpointed the problem to my vehicle but honestly don’t have any idea how it should be wired so kind of stuck at this point. Any help would be appreciated
12 REPLIES 12

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
OP says it’s a 2002 ram 1500

I see that. Overlooked before posting.:S
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP says it’s a 2002 ram 1500

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
What model and make truck do you have. If it is Chevrolet, check the fuse diagram-should be Stud #1-that takes a 50 amp fuse. If missing, you need to install one. If in place, check to see if it is blown. My 2006, 2013 and 2018 had them in place when I bought them. Buddies 2006 did not have one.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
This is the under the hood fuse box located in front of the battery on the drivers side. I believe #11 is really #12 since there are two 11's. It may not use all of the fuses, but it should at least have some of them.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Corner3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I’ll start with these ideas this evening. For reference it’s a 2002 ram 1500

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a heads up on my truck the trailer lights are controlled by relays under the hood and they may blow if you pull the 7 way plug while the truck is on. I don't know if all Ford HD trucks are like this.

You can also buy a cheap tester from Amazon
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck has a quick connector on the reverse side of the plug so that they can mount the plug into the bumper before installing the bumper, the attaching the wiring harness after the bumper is mounted. Look for and check that connection.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Well you have a few options. #1 do you have a test meter of some kind or even a 12 volt test light to see if you are getting at the plug? If so see if you are getting any current to any of the blades in the socket.

Are you dealing with a 4 wire flat pug or a 7 bladed round plug
Check your ground. Just take a standard automotive jumper cable and connect the black wire to a bare metal spot on the truck and on the trailer. Do the lights work now?

Get out the owners manual or look it up online and then check any fuse labeled "trailer" and replace any that are blown.

crawl under the back of the truck and see if the socket is even wired up.

Give us the year make an dmodel of the truck and we can help find the fuses for you.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may have to remove the receptacle on the truck then slide back the protective sleeve to inspect the connections. They may be corroded or loose, it's a common problem. Don't lose the tiny grub screw.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
First guess is the fuse for trailer connector. Depending on tow vehicle, there could be one fuse that powers all the lighting circuits to the trailer connector.
Others have separate fuses for each function.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your trucks manual for ID of Fuses then check the trucks fuse panel to make sure the fuses are installed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II