cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for ZEP (RMP) users?

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I put ZEP acrylic floor finish on my motorhome about 8 years ago. It solved my problem of peeling gelcoat. However, and I knew this beforehand, that ZEP has little or no UV protection. I just finished stripping and recoating the passenger side of my motorhome since it gets the full afternoon sun where it is parked in my yard. This is the third time for this. The drivers side looks just like it did when I first applied it, and have only cleaned and added another layer of ZEP a couple times during that time.

My question is this: Has anyone who uses ZEP tried coating it with something like 303 Protectant, which is a great UV protector, and what were the results?

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad
9 REPLIES 9

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many RVers the end of the season is near so I thought I would revive this thread. Put ZEP on this Fall and next year you will not have to do any exterior maintenance.

My RV has been sitting unused since December. It is in a wooded area under some sort of fruit bearing tree. It looked horrible with lots of streaks from berry eating birds. I just washed it and it now looks like new. I had two streaks from berry droppings which did not wash off and are still visible. Otherwise it looks great. Without the ZEP I would still be working on it.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I used the ZEP stripper, and it works great. Only 10 bucks a gallon. I used maybe a quart and a half to do the passenger side of my 33' motorhome. I use it with a 2 water to 1 stripper mix.....works fast.
That side gets brutal afternoon sun but the drivers side is in the shade and have only given it a new coat 2-3 times in the 8 years or so since I put on the ZEP. Have never stripped it.

When done with the stripper, I wash thoroughly with dish soap and rinse well.

Can't see putting 303 on first??? Seems like it wouldn't do anything for the ZEP. When I get a chance, gonna pick up some 303 and test it on one area.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am on my 4th year with the original ZEP coating. I have had to redo the nose of the camper due to the stripping needed to remove baked on bugs. I have put a quick thin coat of ZEP on the rest of the camper a couple of times. That seemed unnecessary. With ZEP the camper washes easily and then looks like new. My camper is also parked so that one side is in shade and the other in partial sun. I can see no difference. I read that you can apply 303, let it dry and then coat with ZEP. I can see no reason to do this. UV light does not seem to cause any issues and the ZEP protects the surface from oxidation.

I have heard complaints that the ZEP will peal off the surface after a few months or years. I believe insufficient surface prep is the issue. Prior to ZEP, I thoroughly washed, then used ammonia floor stripper. I then rubbed down the entire surface with a Scotch pad and Bar Keepers Friend. Bon Ami is another choice. I did a final rinse and then applied several coats of ZEP. That sounds like a lot of work but actually was easier than using applying a coat or two of paste wax.

One of these years I will probably need to strip and reapply ZEP. There is a ZEP stripper, but I found a dilute ammonia solution works well. I recommend at least 4 thin coats.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
@B.O.Plenty.....As I said in first post, I've had ZEP on for about 8 years and am very pleased with it except for the passenger side. The original gelcoat started peeling after about 5 years. Had read results of folks using Red Max Pro (ZEP), so removed all gelcoat and put on ZEP. Except for the UV issue, I'm happy with the results.

Stripping the ZEP was quite a bit easier than removing the gelcoat, though it still is a pain in the butt.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Any issues with your decals?

Believe it or not, the swirls are actually PAINT....no decals.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did all the prep work then used the Zep. Looked great for a few months. Then it started to crack and flake off. What a mess. Had to use stripper and scrub several times to clean it off. Finally had it painted and never looked back. In my opinion the only real solution is paint. RV dealers are not usually equipped to do this and farm it out, then mark it up. Shop some truck and equipment shops that will have a big enough paint booth.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Any issues with your decals?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
ZEP is not a once and done forever deal.

Neither was the gelcoat. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I donโ€™t have any long term experience but when I used Mop-in-Glo on mine I knew it would need some UV protection. It can not hurt to apply 303 and will delay the time you need to refresh the ZEP. ZEP is not a once and done forever deal.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT