Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help a Newbie, question about gas vs. diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help a Newbie, question about gas vs. diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course there are questions and things to consider like:

- How much are you going to tow vs daily driving

- Are you willing to spend an extra 10k for the diesel option

- Resale is much higher on a diesel

- Slightly higher maintenance cost. ($100 for dealer oil change and tire rotation)

- Diesel much more expensive to repair

- Modern Diesels need to Regen about every tank of fuel or so. So stop and go traffic doesn't work well if thats all you do.

- Diesel will have a longer towing range vs gas (12 mpg vs 8-9)

- Diesel will put a grin on your face towing grades [emoticon]

I'm sure there are a lot more but as for me I love my diesel so far and with all the downsides of owning one that people are going to tell you the upsides are better if you want the power. I have 3 trailers that I pull around including our fifth ranging between 5k and 10.5k with one of them being hitched to the truck better than 50% of the time. I'm not saying gas motors aren't up to the task for what I tow but the more frequent downshifting and higher rpm's required are like nails on a chalkboard for me as I have a low tolerance for that stuff. I've had diesel for the last 15 years and I'm almost certain my next one will be as well.

With that being said if it's a daily driver or have a lot of city type driving and your not pulling your trailer far or often a diesel is probably not for you.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

"Towing a fw"

How much of payload are you going to have left after hooking up to 10,000 fw to a 3/4 ton?

Not an issue.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy hit the nail on the head (no pun intended, lol).

Those are the primary considerations to make.
I'll add longevity of a diesel, but that is subjective as well, as most newer gassers are good for 200k miles or more on engine and transmission (the rest of the truck is the same as a gasser effectively).

Added cost is luck of the draw, except when you lose with a diesel, you lose bigger. In 12 years and 170k on the old Dodge, I've spent exactly $1900 in repairs that were related to it being a diesel and not expected. (Parts only, injectors are easy to change on that truck) I've been fortunate or I bought the right truck and took care of it. Probably a combo of both.

In the meantime, I've spent somewhere between $10-15k less in fuel and the truck is worth $5-10k more than an identical model gasser today. Even on the low end, I'm at least double the cost of the diesel engine up charge in present or future savings.
And about the only time I need to downshift with a load on is if the curves in the road or traffic demands it, or I'm pulling hard enough to get dangerously high egts (not an issue with a newer stock diesel).

For me, it works.

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe my truck is an anomaly. I have the last of the GM big block gassers. My 07 has the 8.1 Vortec and is rated for a 15K 5th wheel.

Gets 11mpg towing a 10K 5er. Had the Ford V10 and got about the same.

I had an LB7 Duramax before it. The 8.1 will probably be here a long time as it only has 60K. And maybe that's the issue My diesel sat around and only really got used for towing.

Waiting to see the actual specs on the new Ford 7.3 gasser

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2009 Chaparral 278DS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Belairbrian what speed do you tow at? My only gets that high on my best days.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're towing at higher elevations often then I'd go diesel, but with an F350 to cover payload.
If you're just going to weekend warrior it with a few (1-3) longer trips then I'd go gas F250.
I tow 9500 lbs in Oregon with a gas 2500. I don't have too many issues. I just lock out 6th or 5th and cruise. MPG sucks compared to my previous CTD but I also didn't pay the $9K premium for the diesel option.

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A gas engine will be fine, a diesel will do a better job, but there are pros and cons to each. If towing performance is the only measure, diesel wins hands down.
If cost, practicality, trip length and other things start being considerations, the winner isn't so clear.

I had a 6.4L Hemi and a 12,000 lb 5er, and it was a great combination, even for long trips through the mountains.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said get a 1 ton SRW.... the price difference is only a couple hundred dollars. I would rather tow 10k lbs with a newer gas powered truck than an old diesel but if you can afford a new diesel you'll love it.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

lmpres

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled a 10K 5th wheel with a 2012 F250 gasser for 2 years. Upgraded to a 2017 F350 diesel and will never look back! The F250 had air bags in it, but it was outright scarey whenever we went over a bridge. Both units woulds start to porpoise. Up hills, it would wind in lower gears. Once pulling with the 350, it all went away!

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2017 6.4 Hemi Ram had 3020 lbs payload and easily pulled 12K and had plenty of excess capacity, but as stated, gas engines make their power at higher RPM's. And like Hammerboy, I also have a low tolerance for that. A diesel in a 250/2500 is going to have less payload, so the advice to go with the 350/3500 SRW diesel is the choice I made, and don't regret it - although I do use it as a daily driver and it's just fine in that role. Gets better fuel mileage than the Hemi - that's for sure.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help a Newbie, question about gas vs. diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS