cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Newbie Question about Brands

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are thinking, still just in thinking about it stage, but, may consider a fifth wheeler/pu rig. I have a question posted in the towing vehicles section about which truck, etc., but, I would/could really use the opinion and experiences of folks here when it comes to recommending a brand that is well built, good customer service, and comfortable for 2 adults and 1 labrador retriever. We want to stay between 25-30 feet, closer to 25 if possible. Thanks in advance, cycler.

Should mention top msrp for us would be 40-42k, or thereabouts.
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cycler wrote:
Well, thanks to you all for your responses, and remarks based on your experiences. They are appreciated.

Biggest issue you're going to find is a definite =lack= of FWs < 30', and most of the ones you do find will be in the light to very light weight class. Northwood used to have an Artic Fox that was around 26', but it's been discontinued. There's a real gap between 20' and 30' in FWs.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox is nice, but $60k. So budget might come into play here. Most of these 28'-30' are going to be less than about $45k. If no budget, then I would agree with the Arctic Fox suggestion. Good bones on the Fox's rather than Lippert.

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
An Arctic Fox, Silver Fox 27.5 5th Wheel is probably the best small 5th Wheel you can buy. A perfect Tow Vehicle for this 5th Wheel would be a F250/350 with 6.2 V8 & 4:30 Gears.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
There's no way you can guaranty you'll get a well built trailer from any brand regardless of price. Doesn't matter whether they use the best materials or not. The build process is 1970's technology. Same ole' stuff in all of them. One may have an Atwood furnace and the other a Suburban. Both could easily have issues. Etc.
You can have two of the exact same models of brand X sitting side by side on the dealers lot and one will be great and the other could have from a few to enough to call it a lemon.
Find you floor plan and colors you like and cross your fingers.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
We are one year in to our Grand Design and have only had one issue. A board went out on the propane part of the fridge.
Contacted GD. They told my wife on the phone how to remove the old one (in about 2 minutes). Got the info needed on it and shipped us a replacement free. Wife installed the now one and works like a charm.
My wife did a lot of research before we upgraded from our TT and read many, many similar stories.
This and a Keystone Premier TT are our only experience. The TT was like 99.9% of the rest of them. It was a light weight home on wheels that would take a pounding driving on highways. Just the nature of campers.

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thanks to you all for your responses, and remarks based on your experiences. They are appreciated.

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly do you mean by "Well Built"?

I mean structurally sound, well sealed, well insulated, good components as far as fittings, valves, etc., as for cabinetry, I don't expect to find dovetail joints on a 40k 5th wheeler, but don't want tin hinges either.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy a good used one so you don't take the depreciation hit, and will also have the bugs worked out too.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2002 Cougar served us well without any problems over the 17 years we had it. Only problem I had was the tires that came on it. Don't remember what brand they were but had 2 blowouts within the first year. Those tires were pron to that then with lots of complaints. We just bought a new Jayco and my son has the old Cougar.
Why the Jayco- looked at a lot of brands and all I can say the Jayco came out on top. Why- when I looked at them I mean I look! I just don't look at what you see just walking in.I look top to bottom-underneath on how it's sealed and how well it's done.Look close the fit and finish inside and out. Pull the drawers what there made out of and how well. Look at the rails they sit on and how there attached.Sit on look at the furniture-turn it over a look what's it's made out of and how well. Check the slide under and on top.How well do they seal in and out-single lip seal or double.Any daylight seen around them in and out.Check the roof out- what dose the sealant look like-neat or sloppy job. Any holes in the roof! Yes i look at one that had a hole about the size of a quarter and been like that what look like since it was on the lot.They had had it for almost a year and I could tell quite a bit of water had enter there.No signs of it inside at all.I can go on and on about looking but you get the idea of what I look at.Yes I take a flashlight with me and look and look everywhere! I had salesman walk off and leave me looking. LOL You wouldn't believe all the split and broken braces some have if you just take the time and look. So yes what I looked at Jayco came out on top. Did I find things on it yes but very very few. None are perfect but some are way better than the others. Now that I said that my Jayco will fall apart on our next trip! LOL
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly do you mean by "Well Built"? You certainly will find brands that have good customer service with good floor plans to suit your needs in that price range but if you mean solid hardwood cabinetry, excellent Fit and Finish, etc. you'll be hard pressed to find that in a 5th wheel with a price point of $40k-$42k. My $57k 34 foot 5th wheel is considered entry level. It has "ok" fit and finish but the cabinetry is all veneer particle board frames with 1/2" plywood drawer boxes and 3/16" plywood sides. The dinette table is the same veneered particle board. The chairs however are real hardwood. Not what I would call "Well Built". The solid surface counter tops are really just molded plastic. To get a real nice quality 5th wheel you'll likely have to spend more than $40k-$42k. or you'll have to sacrifice some quality.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cycler wrote:
Wife and I are thinking, still just in thinking about it stage, but, may consider a fifth wheeler/pu rig. I have a question posted in the towing vehicles section about which truck, etc., but, I would/could really use the opinion and experiences of folks here when it comes to recommending a brand that is well built, good customer service, and comfortable for 2 adults and 1 labrador retriever. We want to stay between 25-30 feet, closer to 25 if possible. Thanks in advance, cycler.

Should mention top msrp for us would be 40-42k, or thereabouts.

I currently have a KZ Durango 1500, now called the Half Ton. In their HT line, they have one that's 28'11" and another that's 29'5". In their Sportsmen line they have a 25'3" model and a 29'5" model. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it, with just a few minor problems. In fact, it's at the dealer now to take care of a fairly short list of issues (7, in fact) before my warranty expires in November. Only 1 is a 2nd go-round for a slide adjustment. I did have an issue early on with the converter not charging (blown fuse) and the stereo going out. I think it might have been a pedestal issue at a CG, but I don't know for sure. I'd recommend them, based on my '17 model. My only complaint about the '19/'20 models is the stupid MorRyde folding step that they're now putting on almost all models instead of the "standard" steps. Not a fan of them and, were I in the market for a new rig, I'd seriously consider NOT buying one, simply because of it. Unfortunately, =many= mfrs are using these things, so they're not alone.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
cycler wrote:
Less than about 28' you really would be better suited in a pull-behind travel trailer.

Why do you say that? I was always told that a fifth wheeler makes for a safer towing experience. Of course, this is when I was working and hanging with co-workers, none of us having actually towed a travel trailer of fifth wheeler.

Mainly because the choices offered in less than 28' are few. And those that there are, are of the Lite or HT variety, intended for the half ton truck market. My Cougar is the Lite model, but I still think it is best pulled with a 3/4 ton truck. Nothing wrong with a lite model, and it fits us well, but it is built of lighter materials and physically smaller dimensions. Nice as a vacation unit, but not really built to live in full time. For the price of a 28' Lite fiver you could purchase a really nicely built pull-behind.

I still prefer my fiver, due to the tall ceiling (not as tall as a full size unit) and for the superior towing performance and ease of hitching. If I never pull a spring bar up again, that will suit me just fine.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said you'll see posts with good comments about a brand and posts with bad comments about a brand. We've bought 2 brand new RVs since 1978. The first was a Nomad Travel Trailer that we used at least one weekend per month with several long distance trips during the 16 years we had it. Nomad was considered a mid-quality TT at the time. We currently have a 25 year old Alfa 5th Wheel which has been used at least one weekend a month plus long stays during the summer (2 weeks to 3 months) each year. We traveled 7000 miles during one trip around the US. The Alfa See-Ya was considered a mid-quality RV at the time we bought it.

Both trailers have held up well with what I would consider normal wear and tear repairs needed over the years. Both of these brands are no longer manufactured although Skyline (Nomad) still builds TT & mobile homes.

I feel that good preventative maintenance helped keep these trailers on the road.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We are also 2 adults and a labrador retriever! We have been very happy with our Winnebago 5th wheel so far. We are nearing the end of our second summer with it. Our model (27RLTS) is just under 30 ft total length. They do have a couple of models that are a bit shorter.

We have friends who, after a few initial hiccups, have been happy with their Grand Design so far.