cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of a Mercedes Class C

smsmith
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of selling our TT and purchasing a used “C”. Anyone have an opinion on a used Mercedes class C? We think we want a diesel.
24 REPLIES 24

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2017 MBS Sprinter for two years, so I can speak to it with knowledge. Good things, driver and passenger seat comfort, visibility when driving, maneuverable in tight spaces, decent MPG on diesel fuel and it towed our 2 Dr Jeep JKS well. Thins we did not like about it: hated the split bed design a real PITA to make up the bed, very low CCC rating so you really have to watch how you pack and be weight conscious, not very much storage space inside or out, very small F/W tank and holding tanks capacities, tiny frig, no real space to relax or lounge in the cabin after traveling, not always able to find ULSD fuel as a lot of places have moved over to Bio-Diesel now, and the cost of maintenance and repairs. Another big factor is if something happened on the road, disabling the vehicle, you can only get service at "authorized MB dealers". This is great if you are on the coast, around a big city, but when you are in Podunk, Wyoming, you are pretty much SOL! You better have a roadside assistance plan that will haul you the 500 miles to the nearest approved facility at the policies expense. We moved up to a Class A MH with the V10, and never looked back.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience with diesel but front-engined diesel rigs have annoying engine noise. Smell of diesel exhaust is not pleasant in crowded camp spots. IMHO, most RV's don't get driven enough miles per year to justify "cons" of diesel power.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck getting ANY repair on that MB in most any place..rural or city. My brother has the Sprinter/MB and says he will never purchase one again. He was stuck in Nebraska for a week waiting for a fuel pressure unit and then had to find someone to install it. No warranty. With a Ford you have a problem in the US, Canada, or Mexico and you can get it repaired quickly and easily.

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
I lusted for a class B for years while in my pop-up.
Found an interior that was perfect for us.
So much different than anything else.
It is a class C but only 22 foot long.
No slides and a queen size Murphy bed.
A bathroom that rivals many class A's
Happened to be on a MB Sprinter.
If it was on a Ford I would have bought it.
Very happy with the MB Sprinter.
20,000 carefree miles so far.

We get an average of 16.5 mpg.
Drives very easily.
Very comfortable seats and legroom.
Very easy to get from driver passenger seat to the back.
Been to mountains out east and west and it charges up the mountains.
So far with our limited experience (two years/20,000 miles) I would buy another MB Sprinter RV.

IMHO select the interior that fits you.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to agree with ron.dittmer. And #7 for us was the major reason.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sprinter is an 11K chassis rating the e450 is 14.5k and the F550 that I have is 19.5. I get 10-11 not towing and 9-10 towing. I can change the oil and service is the same as many of the thousands ford pickups on the road. I can tow 12k too. I stayed away from the sprinter after seeing most were overloaded. I love having a diesel generator too.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having owned and still own both gas and diesel engines I can say with certainty the gas engines are less costly to maintain.
Since the diesel engines now require DEF fluid, keep that cost in mind. Also, diesel fuel now has less sulphur which reduces the "lubricity" of the fuel. I add fuel stabilizer to my GMC Duramax to counteract that. Injector replacement runs 3K. 10 Quarts of oil and fuel filters. Check regularly as diesel has a lot of water in it.
As far as getting them serviced on the road, you will find more gas mechanics than mercedes diesel mechanics, that's for sure.

rogerddd
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted a class c gas, but after sitting in the Mercedes Sprinter (diesel) we bought the C with a Sprinter chassis - for me, no comparison as far as comfort of the Mercedes v ford.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Steve,

This is the way I see it.

Attractions of the Mercedes Sprinter.
1) better fuel economy with the diesel engine
2) nicer ride and driving experience along with better ergonomics
3) taller cab area for easier entry to and from the house
4) it's a Mercedes

Attractions of the Ford E350.
1) significantly lower purchase price
2) lower maintenance & gas prices combined, balances the lower fuel economy
3) more capable chassis carries much more weight and tows better
4) the V10 gasoline engine with 50% more power & torque performs better
5) the engine can endless-idle for alternative heat, a/c, & battery charging
6) over-head bunk is lower offering more bunk headroom and easier access
7) many more places to find service, especially important in remote areas

I feel getting a Sprinter is favorable if you are putting on piles-of-miles per year. One example would be if you chase ball teams all year long.

We own a 2007 E350-V10 motor home, bought brand new. I tracked fuel consumption for many years. From home near Chicago to destinations out west, I consistently averaged 9.2 - 9.5 towing a Jeep Liberty all the time, and 10.5 on the one trip out west towing nothing. Calculations was for the entire trip average without consideration to the fuel we burned running the generator. So the "true" mpg would be better.

Keep in-mind that most Sprinters are equipped with a propane generator because it is much cheaper and weighs less than a diesel generator.

When shopping for a "used" motor home, the E350 and Sprinter seem to be priced the same. The extra cost for a Sprinter seems to greatly diminish in the "used" market. That is great news when buying a used Sprinter, but bad news if you are selling the Sprinter you bought new.

Ron Dittmer

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
guess so,theres just the two of us. pounds do make a difference.

They do. :E
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
guess so,theres just the two of us. pounds do make a difference.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
don,t under stand your saying about the weight capacity. my 2007 sprinter some where I read towing is 5000# I tow a walleye boat back an forth to AZ not a problem an log 17mpg. just asking not starting a fued.p.s mines a 5 cyc engine.

Not everyone travels with their entire family including the pets. You could do it in a Sprinter based moho, but the Ford will win the battle of the extra bodies and pets. Probably at the further expense of the fuel economy. Add weight, burn more fuel. Just depends on each person's priorities.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t under stand your saying about the weight capacity. my 2007 sprinter some where I read towing is 5000# I tow a walleye boat back an forth to AZ not a problem an log 17mpg. just asking not starting a fued.p.s mines a 5 cyc engine.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
When we were shopping, the thing that turned us off to the MB units was the weight capacity was 50% that of the Ford-based chassis. Just something else to keep in mind while shopping.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer