cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM 3500 Auto Level Rear Suspension

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I currently haul an Eagle Cap 950 on a 2013 RAM with the traditional leaf rear end.

Has anyone put their TC on the optional Auto Level Rear Suspension? I can see the benefits, but I can also imagine some not so good outcomes of such an option.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mr. E
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
7 REPLIES 7

Gary_Morency
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 3500 DRW Ram also has the factory air I also don;t have a lot of sway but no its not as solid as my 2007 with springs. I just got tierd of being tipped back for all those years and having to add leafs and still not level, this works for me.

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 cummins dually with factory air and a 2019 bigfoot 10.4.

Haven't noticed any sway problems . Started pushing it on I5 south heading into Grants Pass OR in those hills, didn't notice sway. Truck seems to perform fine on dirt roads too, I've got a tank.

I just don't drive this rig that hard though, why bother? I had a Honda S2000 I just sold, that was the car to drive fast through corners.

Reading these posts seems like the camper weight plays a big deal in ones satisfaction or lack thereof. I have a light camper for a dually.

I believe the 2019 re-did the rear spring pack again for the auto-air.

Dave

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15’ 3500 SRW with the factory auto level air suspension. As others have stated there is no rear sway bar which makes the truck sway more. Torn Lift now makes a rear sway bar for the air suspension equipped trucks. One thing to watch out for with the 811 it’s pretty heavy and if you put it on a SRW truck you will get a yellow light that states the air suspension has reached its limit and cannot bring truck to ride height. I know this because I have an S85RS Chalet on my truck and if I fill it full of water and have all the our gear in the camper it comes on. It eventually goes out as the fresh water is used up and grey tank emptied out. I just live with it. FYI our camper weighs close to 5000 fully wet and ready to go. The key to keep the light from coming on is keep your camper under 4000lbs fully wet on a SRW Ram.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
That was my concern work2much, that the stiffness the leafs provided was a good thing in this case, aiding in the sway carrying a TC. I am sure the ride is much better with the TC off the truck though.....

Yes, the truck is smoother than the 2004 unloaded. We use our truck mostly for the camper though. Your 811 camper is also lighter than our old 1150 so that will make a difference as well. One thing though with single slide campers, at least with our old AF, they are heavier on the slide side. Our AF1150 caused the truck to be tilted to the slide side going down the road. With our 2004 Ram with Firestone bags we just leveled it out with more air in that sides bag. Something we couldn't do with the 2017 aside from loading it as far possible to the drivers side to better center the weight.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
That was my concern work2much, that the stiffness the leafs provided was a good thing in this case, aiding in the sway carrying a TC. I am sure the ride is much better with the TC off the truck though.....
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Ram with the factory air. I do not recommend this set up for carrying a large camper. The air bags do fine to pick up the weight but a lot more sway compared to our old Ram 3500 with std leaf spring pack. It was disappointing to have our 2004 Ram dually outperform our 2017 for sway. Very limited suspension upgrades as well for factory air bags, although you can get a sway bar now that helps some.

You can always add air bags to the truck. That way you have the stouter leaf springs and the air bags. This is how I wish I had gone. Std leafs, stableloads and Firestone airbags mainly for side to side leveling.

Aftermarket air bags can also be adjusted for desired pressure unlike the factory bags. The factory bags have 2 settings and no way to adjust side to side pressure.

Just my 2cents having been there, done it both ways, wish I got the std leafs.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Irdew
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 3500 DRW with air leveling and hauling a Arctic Fox 865.. Got about 24k miles on the pair. Works great, the truck is bone stock. Someone makes a rear torsion bar for that truck now. That would make it even better.