cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Trailer Hitch? - 2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone with a 2002 Dutch Star replaced their trailer hitch and if so, what did you replace it with?

The one that Newmar had installed on mine was a HIDDEN HITCH #64-6101 (5000 lb. weight rating) which has long been discontinued. I spoke to both Newmar and Spartan, but neither had anything to offer with regard to a replacement or information.

I spoke to an engineer at HIDDEN HITCH (Now owned by Horizon Global) who is looking into a possible replacement, but made no guarantees that they might have one that will retrofit. I have AutoCAD drawings of the hitch which I forwarded to the engineer at Hidden Hitch and he reviewed and confirmed the pertinent dimensions with me.

I also spoke to tech support at CURT Hitches, but they didn't want to be bothered.

Draw Tite is also now owned by Horizon Global.

The problem is, when searching for a replacement hitch online, the first thing they want to know is what make and model the vehicle is where the hitch will be installed. Unfortunately, as we know, their pick lists don't include motorhomes. They also don't give dimensions. Etrailer.com will provide certain dimensional information if you ask them. However, you still need a starting point of which hitch "might" be a close match.

If possible, I would like to get a hitch with a higher weight rating than 5000 lbs. but at this point I would be happy with that for now. (We tow a Ford Edge which comes in at only approximately 4100 lbs.)

Any ideas as to here I might find a replacement hitch for my 02 Dutch Star would be appreciated. I'm hoping that I won't have to have one custom made ($$$).

Incidentally, the reason the I took my currently hitch out of service was due to bent and cracked mounting brackets and a couple of cracked welds.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis
6 REPLIES 6

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Our 2007 KSDP and a friends 2008 DSDP both had recalls on the hitch in 2008. NEWMAR replaced both with a 10,000 lb curt hitch. If yours happens to be the same it would probably bolt right on

As a matter of fact, I do have a CURT 10,000 lb. hitch from a 2007 KSDP. Probably the same that you're referring to. While the bolt hole spacing matches, the overall hitch width is about 1-1/2" too wide.
Mark & Cherie

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2007 KSDP and a friends 2008 DSDP both had recalls on the hitch in 2008. NEWMAR replaced both with a 10,000 lb curt hitch. If yours happens to be the same it would probably bolt right on
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We too had a Hidden Hitch hitch failure on a 2002 DSDP. We had it repaired by a certified welder. Not sure if you will find a commercial hitch rated above 6K. We had a fastener failure not a weld failure

hitch faliure
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Hidden Hitch failure on my 04 Mountain Aire. I took it to a hitch shop in Lansing and they built a new hitch. Much more capacity than they HH and very well built. Check with a custom hitch shop.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
With the assistance of the folks at etrailer.com I have two to choose from...

- Draw-Tite Multi-Fit Motorhome Trailer Hitch # 5350
- Curt Adjustable RV Trailer Hitch Receiver #13701

The CURT has approximately a 2" lower drop down to the receiver box than the Draw-Tite, so based on the measurements from my MH, the Draw-Tite will likey be the better fit on my rig. It should fit near perfectly.

Unfortunately, both are 5000 lb. hitches (which is what was on there in the first place from Newmar). I was hoping to find something with a higher weight rating, but short of having one custom fabricated, this will have to do. Our towed (2016 Ford Edge) only comes in at round 4100 lbs. so we're good.
Mark & Cherie

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
time for custom welding shop.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.