cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interstate 55 Memphis Tn.

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I will be needing to travel from South Louisiana to Branson Mo. in a week or so. I would appreciate info about I 55.. Is it a disaster, easy flowing or what kind of traffic can I expect? I will be in a motorhome. If anyone has any ideas about a decent route from Louisiana to Branson I would like to hear it ..Thanks,Terry.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
4 REPLIES 4

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I was just through Memphis in June on I-55 coming from St. Louis. I-55 is just like all Interstates, rough in places due to heavy truck traffic daily. We crossed the Mississippi River using the I-55 bridge in our motor home with no problems other than all the trucks. Just as others have stated, watch the signs and pay attention to the trucks.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We take it both ways traveling down to New Orleans from northern Illinois. Rig in sig.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the I-55 bridge over the Mississippi. So I take I-240 north to I-40 and cross the river on I-40. Intersects with I-55 right after you cross the river. I find it a much easier drive in my 38' MH with toad.
There is a washboarded section on I-55 (both directions) for about 20 miles going north of Osceola, Arkansas. The left lane is smoother than the right.
Jackson, Mississippi can have some horrible traffic at rush hour.
Other than that, nothing much memorable.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Was through there about 6 mo ago, going north, and do not recall any particular problems. Just avoid rush hours if possible, watch the signs and roll. Only thing I don't like is the old bridge across the Mississippi, but it was no problem in our Class A with toad. Have fun in Branson, we spent a lot of time there as COE volunteers.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.