cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yipping little dogs!! Ugh!!

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love dogs and have a lab. However these little dogs in the camping site next door are driving me nuts. They yip at anything moving. The owners sit there under the awning and say nothing to shut them up. A couple times I’ve walked out to the front of our MH to glare but it does no good. I don’t blame the dogs, they have never been taught anything. Anyway, just wanted to vent.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
18 REPLIES 18

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
"I had to laugh at this. How in the world could you possibly know what the campground rules are where the OP is camped?"

Seriously? :h

Having never been to any campground where barking/yappy dogs were permitted I assume it was not permitted where the OP was. :S

Jees! Lighten up! It was a play on words. And if had read the rest of my post you would realize I was in complete agreement with the poster. Maybe a size larger underwear could help, too!

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
"I had to laugh at this. How in the world could you possibly know what the campground rules are where the OP is camped?"

Having never been to any campground where barking/yappy dogs were permitted I assume it was not permitted where the OP was. :S

Somewhere there has to be a campground with a rule worded something like..............Quiet dogs that do not disturb the peaceful camping experience of others are strictly prohibited. :h :h

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I found that This works when everything else fails.

They get cheaper every year - and yes, they WORK. Best part is that no one knows you are tormenting their little darlings (evil grin)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
There is no need to speak with the person as I'm sure they know fully well their yappy dogs are an annoyance. Go right to whomever is incharge and complain. Let's be real here, does anyone really think the owners don't know or haven't been told before their dogs are a nuisance? Odds are they just don't care!

Of course they know their dogs are barking. And they probably don't care. But the first step is to have a friendly chat. You may hear, " I am so sorry I did not realize they were bothering you. I will keep them quieter." Or you may hear, "I rented this site and really don't care if they bother you. If you don't like it move to another site." What is wrong with being friendly?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that dog owners are responsible for keeping their dogs from being a nuisance in any way and that includes excessive barking. So, perfectly within your rights to complain or ask them to stop the barking or move. How would they like it if you stood near them and barked, screeched, talked very loudly or with a loud radio. No difference in my opinion.
Jayco-noslide

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
There is no need to speak with the person as I'm sure they know fully well their yappy dogs are an annoyance. Go right to whomever is incharge and complain. Let's be real here, does anyone really think the owners don't know or haven't been told before their dogs are a nuisance? Odds are they just don't care!
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Contact the CG hosts or Rangers. Yapping dogs are not allowed....

I had to laugh at this. How in the world could you possibly know what the campground rules are where the OP is camped?

However, your point is well taken and correct! Regardless of whatever the rules are any disruptive behavior should not have to tollerated by others. A nice, friendly chat with the neighbors should be first, then a complaint to the management. However, sometimes it is just better to live and let live if the annoyance is not worth the potential confrontation.

Y-Guy
I always believe in addressing the problem first hand, first. If that fails, and honestly it normally does, I will talk with the campground owner and let them know the situation, how I tried to address it and a few times I've used my phone to record the non-stop yapping. Yes the owners will probably give you the evil eye after they get talked to, but you did give them a try.

We had a Golden "retriever" that was a great dog, except we could not get her to stop barking. Classes, fail. Anti-barking devices, fail. We couldn't take her camping. That was sad, but the only thing we could do.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pawz4me wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

If I remember the Dog Whisperer videos correctly little dogs make noise because they are scared/nervous.

I think that's probably at least somewhat true. Our Shih Tzu is not a barker. He's probably the quietest dog we've ever had, and all the rest have been medium/large dogs. But he's also super confident. He's been charged by numerous larger dogs and he just looks at them like "WTH is your problem?" He has the same "WTH" reaction when he's around other little dogs who are barky.

The only thing that bothers him are rumble strips. :E

We had 3 Shih Tzus at the same time. None of them where barkers. One rode with me in the truck. If I was in the truck would alert if somebody got close and would bark if somebody touched the truck. More than one person told me they knocked on the door and she made no sound. Not a guard dog, a alarm system.
Another would stand up and beg for attention from everybody that got close.
The third, would set on my lap in CG. If she saw something, I whisper her name, and I could feel her "bark" but no sound.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

If I remember the Dog Whisperer videos correctly little dogs make noise because they are scared/nervous.

I think that's probably at least somewhat true. Our Shih Tzu is not a barker. He's probably the quietest dog we've ever had, and all the rest have been medium/large dogs. But he's also super confident. He's been charged by numerous larger dogs and he just looks at them like "WTH is your problem?" He has the same "WTH" reaction when he's around other little dogs who are barky.

The only thing that bothers him are rumble strips. :E
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Did you consider going next door and meeting the dogs? My neighbor a few weekends ago had some little chihuahuas that turned out to be super nice dogs, they just needed me to say hello.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
DC&MC wrote:
I love dogs.....

LOL. :B I always know what's coming when a post starts with those words. In any case, good luck getting some peace and quiet.:W

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think that is called selective hearing. Training dogs, like training kids, is a lot of work and some would rather not expend the effort.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)