Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tesla X Towing Videos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla X Towing Videos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This video was pretty interesting and showed some real life numbers.

First Towing Video

Mountain Towing

I have no interest in purchasing a Tesla or any other type of Electric Vehicle as they just do not fit in with what my use is as of right now but you never know what the future will bring.

When we purchased my DW's 2019 Nissan Rogue, I noticed that they had a "High Speed" charger there for the Leaf's. When I asked them how it was working they said it had been broken for quite some time and Nissan was not going to fix it as they had only sold ONE Leaf!

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TugCE wrote:

This video was pretty interesting and showed some real life numbers.

First Towing Video

Mountain Towing

I have no interest in purchasing a Tesla or any other type of Electric Vehicle as they just do not fit in with what my use is as of right now but you never know what the future will bring.

When we purchased my DW's 2019 Nissan Rogue, I noticed that they had a "High Speed" charger there for the Leaf's. When I asked them how it was working they said it had been broken for quite some time and Nissan was not going to fix it as they had only sold ONE Leaf!

Nissan has really screwed up with the Leaf, first by not understanding the NA market, and then when they redesigned the vehicle with a decent sized battery pack they failed to address the largest flaw other than range which is battery degradation. They are the only manufacturer not using active cooling in their BEV and the resale numbers reflect that reality.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nissan is getting to be a expert at building vehicles that no one wants.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoyed those videos.

Clearly not a good candidate for long-distance towing, but for a typical suburban family towing their boat to the nearest river or lake, it would be fine!

I would like to see them repeat the test with a more modest towing speed. Just because you can tow uphill at the speed limit, doesn't mean to you have to... Also towing something with less frontal area would probably better represent a more typical trailer load for model X owners.

FWIW - I'm pretty sure my next vehicle purchase will be electrified, although probably not full EV. The 500 HP, 630 ft-lbs or torque, in the new Lincoln Aviator hybrid, is pretty promising!

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run out of gas in the middle of a long stretch of lonely highway or out in the boonies, it's not too hard to get a couple gallons and get to a fuel station. I've helped others out that way multiple times.
But carrying a long extension cord is gonna be interesting to watch. I know I don't carry 15 or 20 miles.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailmanor or other low profile trailer is probably the best fit with an EV tow vehicle at this point.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pass the popcorn.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Run out of gas in the middle of a long stretch of lonely highway or out in the boonies, it's not too hard to get a couple gallons and get to a fuel station. I've helped others out that way multiple times.
But carrying a long extension cord is gonna be interesting to watch. I know I don't carry 15 or 20 miles.

Simple answer... Carry an inverter genny in the back, a GAS POWERED one. I know Tesla take a special plug right, wrong. You can plug a Tesla into a standard 110 volt or 220 volt outlet, The come with an adapter. My cousin has an X and when he visits, we plug it into my shop power so a portable genny would work too.

I'll never buy an electric car either but I like riding in my cousin't X and I like driving it too, goes like a scalded dog.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Simple answer... Carry an inverter genny in the back, a GAS POWERED one. I know Tesla take a special plug right, wrong. You can plug a Tesla into a standard 110 volt or 220 volt outlet, The come with an adapter. My cousin has an X and when he visits, we plug it into my shop power so a portable genny would work too.

I'll never buy an electric car either but I like riding in my cousin't X and I like driving it too, goes like a scalded dog.

Not trying to start a fight online, but I just envisioned how much better for the environment it will be with a bunch of piggybacked portable generators hanging off the back of a tesla truck to get it back into town. [emoticon]

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

, but I just envisioned how much better for the environment it will be with a bunch of piggybacked portable generators hanging off the back of a tesla truck to get it back into town.
Oh yeah, a real deal-breaker.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla X Towing Videos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS