cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heave-Ho

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
A few photos removing the fridge. It was too big to fit through the door so the window had to come out.
Removing the window is very similar on 99% of RVs. It is pretty easy depending on what the previous guy used to seal the window. Use a scraper to pry the window free gently. The most common, and I think best, is the butyl tape. Most will use 3/4 inch tape. Clean RV and window frame before re-install. It is a sticky almost clay-like roll of thick goo that you roll out onto the window frame and stick the window back in. When you screw the window in the goo oozes out a little and you trim that.

Disconnect propane, unplug electric, unscrew fridge from cabinet and pull it out.

The window is out. I wish I could have just opened the window, but had to completely remove window.
I protected the RV with some thick towels

The long ladder gave me a nice ramp to slide the fridge out.

I just slid it down the ramp.

I will install a roof AC soon, and will use the ladder as a ramp to just slide the AC unit onto the roof. I have a hill the ladder is sitting on that helps even the elevations, but you could sit it on a table, or extend the ladder longer for a less-sloped ramp.

I have a DC powered compressor fridge that I will be using, and it is not particular about level, and will use free solar powerโ€ฆ

I can share that install later. I plan to put it on the dinette seat next to the fridge area, which will become a closet, and have it on drawer sliders so the couch can still become a bed if needed. I do not need a full couch that often
12 REPLIES 12

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I went on a birdhouse forum and asked how to build a birdhouse and the first guy asked if I had too many cats and went on a rant about getting cats fixed. The next guy rambled on about bird seeds. Yet another post discussed what kind of nail I intend to use on the tree, which led to wether or not to hire an arborist to manage the trees in my yard or try to do it myself. Someone chimed in that their tree had gotten beetles and had to be taken down, which prompted another forum enthusiast to tell us about a storm that blew a tree down on his house. I asked what kind of nails he used on his house, but that greatly offended all of them, so I gave up, never getting any info on building a bird house. I don't have cats or trees, sadly.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:

Camper for saleโ€ฆ
old useless propane fridge is going back in to help with the sale since people don't know what they need at first.

I guess the reason he thought you were putting in an old non-working propane fridge, was because of this statement.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I never put the finished drawer pics up. I have some I can show even though I undid it all now.
The main reason for this mod was so I could use this electric fridge. I never camp at campgrounds with their relatively flat camp parking spots, I am always off-grid and rarely level until I commit for the night and level the rig, but sometimes I just get it close, but not close enough for the temperamental absorption fridge who is needy for propane, not free solar power.
Gaining some huge drawer space was a plus.

With it closed up

Opened top

New outside door, sealed up, coated with epoxy

New fridge, is on drawer slides that were taped to the fiberglass, and btw, the tape was strong VHB but with a heat gun was un-did easily with no trace

So I made new cusions to fit the new smaller space. With table down in bed position. Lots of odd shape cushions to fit the new seating arrangement and work up or down.
The reason for the slide is on the rare occasion I need to sleep someone in this space at least they have leg room, though a bit tight fit, it is better than sleeping outside on the ground in pouring rain on a freezing nightโ€ฆ

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge is in perfect shape, its only negative is that it is an absorption fridge. Those, to me, are of yester-years past. The new Danfoss 12 volt compressor fridges are far superior and can run at any angle (I think up to a 30 degree angle), so gone are (were) the days of searching for level places to park the rig.

( no idea why he thought I would put a broken fridge in an RV then try to sell it broken, that would cut thousands off the selling price, I just assume half of your are think as drunk you are)

Yes, lots of work for just a couple of nights camping. I thought I would keep the camper for a long long time. Life has a way of telling you otherwise. I may reuse the drawers at least and the compressor fridge being a chest can be used anywhere in anything so I am still using it.

The camper is actually better for me having removed the fridge as I got to clean everything out and put in new supports and I also put in some electrical wiring behind the fridge opening for outlets that I would have never been able to do otherwise. As I stated, there were no holes or cuts made for the previous mod, so un-doing it left no evidence. The only thing leftover is two additional DC outlets, it having none when I bought it.

The board at the bed opening also required the fridge come out, so the new owner will have some benefits still. The board serves two purposes:
besides hiding the edge of the mattress and holding the sheets up, I added a mesh textile to allow air to circulate under the mattress.
Behind the board is a divider to keep the sheets and covers from dropping down to block the air from circulating. The board is a few inches away from the wall so it allows airflow. Being a few inches away from the mattress also means there is a gap, which is perfect to put things in like your phone, your book, your wallet, your do-dads or anything you want to just stick somewhere handy. I have a wire running up that can be used for 12volt power like an outlet since there is room for a DC outlet now, perfect again for using while in bed.

This is before pic:

It is a Roamer, and very rare, and very hard to find these for sale. I live in the SE where people do not own TCs as much as places far west of here, so it might take a while to sell.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a Roamer truck camper. Those are very rare, take care and not damage it. Will bring a premium in good condition.

I would love to get ahold of one in good condition.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The OP never stated that the propane fridge did not work. It would make no sense at all to go through the work to reinstall a non working fridge.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would hope that you would tell any perspective buyer that the propane refrigerator does not work.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
All that work, now the fridge is going back in. You really must have needed drawer space.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I am selling camper, so removed the drawers. The caulk held very strong and would have stayed in place forever. Some of the plys from the plywood were torn off by the caulk as I removed it, so the caulk was stronger than the plywood glue.
Camper for saleโ€ฆ
old useless propane fridge is going back in to help with the sale since people don't know what they need at first.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
With the frige gone I put in drawers.There is not a perfect square cavity to attach the drawer slides to, they need perfection, so I built a frame to hold the drawers and inserted that.

The openingโ€ฆ

The frame, out of build order but makes more sense. I had to build it in halves so it could fit through the fridge opening. I just screwed a panel of thin wood across the seam to hold them together once inside the fridge opening.
Later, the top will get a board that will not only hold the 2x4s together (not make the drawer slides do that) but also fit tight along the walls so there is no movement.

The two halves together. I had to cut out the edges for propane and electrical runs.

The lower drawer is getting its drawer slides installed.
Interesting tidbit; the big drawer was from my first RV build. I am way better at building drawers now than back then, this one got some fixes and paint. Current RV is #5.

Top drawer. The tops of the 2x4s will get cut to just above the drawer. On top will go a shelf.
All the stained wood was recovered/recycled from old projects.

Dry fit. The drawer fronts will get put on last.
2x4s cut. I will have to custom measure the shelf board so it fits the irregular space. It will have to be done in halves also.

Probably an extra 1 cubic foot of storage space in this opening than if it just had straight sides.

I do not plan to put any screws or bolts through the original fiberglass interior, so will wedge some wood in and glue it with cheap caulk. The caulk, and the top shelf should hold tight and also be easy to remove if ever needed.

Hope you enjoyedโ€ฆ

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can see the pictures just fine.

Good luck on your project.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your pictures are not showing because you need to be a member of that forum to even view those pictures. Here is an easier way.

If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.

Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine