cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

remote temperature monitoring

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently staying in a seasonal campground. Occasionally the electric will go out. Our concern is when we leave our dog in the RV for a few hours, how do we know if the electric goes out. Is there an App that will notify us or an App that can monitor the temperature?
15 REPLIES 15

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
We use Waggle pet monitor.

You can set temp and humidity ranges and it will check every 10 minutes. Notifies you instantly if settings go out of range, by text and/or e-mail. It will also notify you if RV power goes out and/or comes on. As long as you can get cell service at the RV it works great. I noted that the battery lasts about a week (checked while in storage) and charges back up again pretty quickly. I turn off notifications when it is storage or we are on the road!

Can't recommend this enough.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
Solo wrote:
Disadvantage with this is that it does not notify if power is lost-just when temp and humidity are out of the desired ranges. I have AGS so power is restored automatically via the generator if electrical loss creates a demand.

For those of us not having something in the rig that will auto start the generator when power is lost, I would sure be more comfortable being notified right away when power is lost, rather than only when the temp reaches an out of range point. Then I could head back ASAP before the temps get out of range. Units that run on AC but have a battery backup (like the Marcel) can provide this feature.

I wonder how long the battery life of the GoVee is and if it notifies you ahead of time that the battery needs to be changed.
The article/video did not have this information.

Excellent point. Being alerted when shore power is lost is very important to me also so I can react before the temperature rises. The RV Whisper system and Power Watchdog surge protectors work together to do that.

The Power Watchdog (from Hughes Autoformers) surge protectors monitor shore power and come with a bluetooth phone app. The RV Whisper system talks to the Power Watchdog over bluetooth and provides WiFi based email and text alerting.

I plug my RV Whisper system into a USB port that is powered from my RV batteries, and my ATT WiFi router has an internal battery that lasts for about 6 hours.

When I unplug from shore power, I get an email and text message right away warning me that shore power is disconnected. The RV Whisper system came with 3 temperature sensors so I monitor my indoor temperature and the fridge and freezer temperatures also.

Power Watchdog surge protectors

RV Whisper monitor system

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:

I wonder how long the battery life of the GoVee is and if it notifies you ahead of time that the battery needs to be changed.

I have only personally been using the GoVee for a few weeks and so cannot comment on whether a low battery alert will be sent-I do not believe it will however. The battery life can be stretched some by setting it's monitoring function at a less frequent interval. But, the app does show a "battery level meter" which does give you some idea it appears of the unit's power left. No question the subscription based cellular systems work well as my RVPetSafety unit on the Verizon network has worked without a hitch whenever temps/Humidity are out of range or if onboard 120v has been lost. Bottom line, there are good options available to send alerts and different ways/costs to make it happen.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Solo wrote:
Disadvantage with this is that it does not notify if power is lost-just when temp and humidity are out of the desired ranges. I have AGS so power is restored automatically via the generator if electrical loss creates a demand.

For those of us not having something in the rig that will auto start the generator when power is lost, I would sure be more comfortable being notified right away when power is lost, rather than only when the temp reaches an out of range point. Then I could head back ASAP before the temps get out of range. Units that run on AC but have a battery backup (like the Marcel) can provide this feature.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
As has already been mentioned, having reliable WIFI or cell service availabl and having it available if you loose power will determine what you can use. Either system from Marcell or RV PetSafety use a cellular network (Verizon or AT&T) so no WIFI is required and are subscription based so there is an ongoing cost so if considering this technology, compare features and costs and see what works for you.

Other options that are available if you have reliable WIFI include temperature monitors that will connect to your own WIFI network. The advantage with this type is that there is no ongoing subscription costs. A recommended unit is the GOVEE Temperature device. Read David Bott's Review. Disadvantage with this is that it does not notify if power is lost-just when temp and humidity are out of the desired ranges. I have AGS so power is restored automatically via the generator if electrical loss creates a demand.

I have used both the RV PetSafety and the GOVEE Temperature units and can attest that each work as advertised and will perform the function(s) you are asking about. You must look at what your needs are and then look at the technology that works in your situation.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I'm with you but you're going to get some idiot on here saying that you shouldn't leave your dog. Skip the post or just tell em' where to go ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway,, I have it covered the best I can,

I have a USB dongle I got off E Bay that sends an E mail or text if the temp goes over a preset limit. It's got about a 3 foot cord with a sensor on the end of it. I stick it in the A/C vent. I don't recall the brand. I bought it years ago. 30 bucks if I recall. Came with a disk to load the software.

Maybe this one: USB sensor with software

Remember that doesn't do anything if the power is off and/or the WiFi is down so I use the "teamviewer" app on my phone. It's free. I just run the USB temp reading software on the PC before we leave and log in with teamviewer on my phone and check on them that way. If I can't log on, the power could be off or the WiFi is down. I'd go back and check.

I also always set the temp way down too. You're main problems with A/C (other than a power failure) are at start up. I stick it on 60 and leave. I don't think it ever shuts off. It gives them a "jump" on the heat it the power was to fail. Might be a little cold but they're dogs and cold is better than dead. Search E-bay for USB temp sensor. Teamviewer is free at the app store. Load it on PC and phone.

Another thing I do is stick a digital thermometer in the front window and ask some nice neighbor to glance at it if the wouldn't mind. Then we give them our number. People are mostly animal lovers and don't mind. Last time we camped, a nice lady would text us the temp about every hour. Overkill but very nice of her.

Amazon sells a 12 volt alarm that closes a built in relay that you wire up and program. I have one hooked to a buzzer that's mounted under the font grill. Might pizz off a few campers it they had to listen to it for a while but might also save my dogs. I can always say "sorry"
๐Ÿ˜‰

Amazon link

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using la crosse technology for my home and bought WI-FI thermometer for my camper.
With WI-FI connection it will display temperatures on your android and you can set alerts.
I plug the the gateway into 1 of those WI-Fi extenders.
Technology is still temperamental, but it works.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I use the RV Whisper system to monitor my RV Temperature and Shore Power Voltage so I get email and text alerts if it gets hot in the RV or if it loses Shore Power. I can check the status remotely (over the internet) to see current temperature and other data.

It also monitors my batteries, propane level and door open/close status. Lots of wireless sensors to choose from - i bought more sensors than I really need, but they are kind of fun to have.

Ed

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
b17drvr wrote:
We use RV pet safe. It gives us live updates and temperatures.
https://rvpetsafety.com/

X2
2010 Suncruiser

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
LarryDel wrote:
We are currently staying in a seasonal campground. Occasionally the electric will go out. Our concern is when we leave our dog in the RV for a few hours, how do we know if the electric goes out. Is there an App that will notify us or an App that can monitor the temperature?

Is there internet available in your trailer when you leave? If not, Marcell has a good cellular solution. It has a back-up battery, so it can notify you if the power goes out and it doesn't depend on internet to work.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Do a search on MarCELL Cellular Connected Monitoring System.

Dave

We have MarCell.. I have no complaints at all. We spend a lot of time in the desert. The only thing you need is your cell phone for messages, phone calls and email alerts, plus the unit.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
We use RV pet safe. It gives us live updates and temperatures.
https://rvpetsafety.com/

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search on MarCELL Cellular Connected Monitoring System.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Nest camera facing any device that will fail in a power outage. Internet required. You'll get notified if camera detects movement.

Not elegant, but works for my home.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman