cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty getting the tow ball to release from hitch

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
This problem just started on our old TT and on our new TT as well. When lifting the trailer to release the ball from the hitch it does not come off easily. The ball stays in the hitch until the weight of the truck being lifted pops the ball out causing the trailer to jump and move. Sometimes I even have to jump on the back truck pumper to release the ball also resulting in the trailer to jump. Any help or suggestions in solving this dangerous unhitching problem will be appreciated. Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my singly I land the jack, remove the WD bars, and drop the rear air suspension.

On my dually same as above but don’t use WD.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Folks - The OP hasn't been back in a week, I'm guessing he's moved on.

AlwaysOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
I had this issue until I learned to disconnect both of my WDH bars before decoupling.
2016 F150 4X4 2.7EcoBoost 6Speed 3:55's / 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL ToyHauler

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Simple solution that works 100% of the time. Leave one of your WDH bars connected to the hitch but DISCONNECTED from the trailer. Use the bar as leverage to shake the hitch back and fourth using your arm to rock it. As you raise the hitch it will slide off.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Over time I have read and tried several suggestions.

About the best I found is to jack up the TT until the ball is lifting the bumper few inches, then I undo the WD hitch bars and let the ball drop.

If it does not drop then I jump on the bumper like everyone else.

By the way, around here, we spell it chock and pronounce it "chack". 😉
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Varmintmist
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
About 60 years ago I discovered some magic stuff that greatly reduces the binding on metal to metal contacts of all kinds. That would be the first thing I would try.

Always grease your balls.
Always cross your chains and grease your balls
07 F250
2019 Surveyor 27'

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
If there is pressure on it either sideways or fore and aft then I have to jump on the bumper of my pickup to get it to release.

Another place to think about the 2nd reply

JRscooby wrote:
About 60 years ago I discovered some magic stuff that greatly reduces the binding on metal to metal contacts of all kinds. That would be the first thing I would try.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is pressure on it either sideways or fore and aft then I have to jump on the bumper of my pickup to get it to release.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:

Yup.

But they are usually used on vehicles and trailers that don’t need weight redistribution or sway control.

You would have to build a WD hitch with a flat plate to bolt the hook to. Then modify the trailer to attach the round eye. You could put some rubber “chucking absorbers” in while you are at it.

I have towed millions of miles on the eye. And your hook-up procedure is pretty close. When paving, I would set the foot of jack on very back edge of block. Bump the tongue, block kicks out, eye drops. Of course, if off a little I would need help to lift the tongue, get jack back on block.
But eye on pintle, or coupler on ball, the time consuming part is the bars.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
noteven wrote:
caver wrote:
One I see frequently on the craigslist is various spellings of pindel, pendel etc hitch vs the proper spelling pintel hitch.

Or is it a “pintle hook” ?

Anyhoo it’s the Best one ever - back in, smash into the trailer, wind the jack down, close the hook, pin it,done.

Wish all heavy trailers had them..,

Would it work with WDH? Or sway control?

Yup.

But they are usually used on vehicles and trailers that don’t need weight redistribution or sway control.

You would have to build a WD hitch with a flat plate to bolt the hook to. Then modify the trailer to attach the round eye. You could put some rubber “chucking absorbers” in while you are at it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
caver wrote:
One I see frequently on the craigslist is various spellings of pindel, pendel etc hitch vs the proper spelling pintel hitch.

Anyhoo it’s the Best one ever - back in, smash into the trailer, wind the jack down, close the hook, pin it,done.

Would it work with WDH? Or sway control?

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spray a little WD40 on the ball when hitching up, never had a problem disconnecting.
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
caver wrote:

caver
Nomad
Nomad