Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Pets riding in trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets riding in trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The back of the trailer is going to have more movement then over the axle which could cause motion sickness. In the midwest heat would be a concern where your at should not be as much of a issue. My Collies always rode in the truck cab so don't have much experience. I know my trailer is very warm when coming off a long highway drive.

I did try hauling them one time in the topper of the camper and one got extremely sick for several days. I had the camper windows open and wonder if Carbon monoxide might of got in. After the trip I sold the single cab and bought a crew cab truck.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The American humane association seems to think its okay
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBO3Ykn0C3s
Note the airline crates inside their 5th wheel toy hauler
There are lots of examples of mobile adoption trailers.

A friend of ours just got their special ordered LQ horse trailer with the stall area setup for dog crates including a generator to run the AC in the stall area.

Keys:
Secured crate
Proper temperature (controlled or do not travel when too hot)

* This post was edited 08/14/19 05:01pm by BCSnob *

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Provided the temperature stays comfortable, I believe it’s ok.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs are not livestock to be trailered. They are companion animals and should ride in the truck.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankoToo wrote:

Technically you could do it but I'm not sure how comfortable of a ride it's going to be for the new little one. She could get bounced around pretty good in the back of the trailer. Not to mention temp in the trailer, etc. while on the road. Being a foster, it could be a little traumatizing. JMO.

I agree with this. Since the dog is new to your life, I'd be hesitant to leave it in the trailer unattended - if he gets scared, sick, upset, etc., you could create a new problem.

Since the dog is small, could you hold it in a passenger's lap?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rear of the trailer is the bounciest area. The crate may be secured but the dog could be bounced in the air over bad roads. Don’t do it unless you have a camera you can continuously monitor the dog. It may be under severe stress there.

Stock trailers have their axles mounted toward the rear to reduce the overhang and the associated bounce. And pets are not livestock headed to slaughter or auction.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree in a perfect world my dogs would ride in the back with the seat folded down in a crate. We have had one dog for several years he is a nervous wreck riding in the truck already. The Cat rides in her own crate on top of the dogs crate. the new little dog does not like cats (so far) and she is letting big dog know who's boss making the big dog even more nervous. the little dog now rides in the crate and big dog is out sitting next to it. I think I am going to try turning the crate away from the big dog so the little princess is not looking at him and see how that goes.
Now I know why I never had kids!

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

Dogs are not livestock to be trailered. They are companion animals and should ride in the truck.
our dogs are dogs not livestock or fur kids/fur babies. Take a look at how those charged with animal welfare transport the dogs under their care.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

The rear of the trailer is the bounciest area.
the “ride” is not equal in all rv trailers; some are bouncy and some are not. We could leave it room the counter in our previous trailer and they would stay put; not do in our current trailer. The same can be said for the “ride” in pick-ups. I suspect the “ride” depends upon the loaded weight relative to the max weight; much the the ride in an empty vs loaded dump truck.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea! Further traumatise a dog that is already a mess. Jeese give the dog back.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets riding in trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS