cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 2001 Lance 1161 ok if there is no water damage?

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

We are planning to go look at a 2001 Lance model 1161 next week with the intention of buying it if I don't see any issues with water damage or trouble at the dining room slide out room.

I have been reading of some of the problems of the early Lance models with slides and wondering if I should stay away from them altogether or are they ok if there is no apparent trouble?

We owned a 2000 Lance model 1130 several years ago and really liked it but think the side door on the 1161 is pretty nice.

We do have a 2007 Dodge 3500 dually 5.9 Cummins to haul it with....I'm fairly confident the truck should be adequate wouldn't you think?

Thanks for the feedback,
Phil
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage
6 REPLIES 6

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think so.
Not only Lance changed ownership lately, but when I was calling them 2 + years ago for parts support - they no longer offer anything for that MY.
I needed skylight cover and was forced to pay premium at local RV dealer, only to find the covers are sold cheap at Walmart.
Still worth making a call and see if new owners have different politics.

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I do have the same MY Lance and if you read Lance forum, the design has one of the best floor plans on the market, but engineering left weak point, what is the front corner under the slide.
Where you have metal channel under the slide and metal chanel in vertical corner, where the jacks bolt, those channels are not connected and all what holds that critical corner is some staples over the wood.
Once that has been repair, you will enjoy the camper.
On Lance forum you will find several member who loved the design so much, that after the original frame rotted, they spend (probably more than original price) on full rebuild.
Any dually will be fine for it. This is one of the lightest 12-footers with slide on the market.
Also check the wood above the slide as on mine - the awning had screws applied with no sealer and the holes allow for water penetration.

Thanks Kayteg1.... would I be able to find the procedure for repairing the 1161 slide problem by contacting Lance?

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! .... I appreciate the inspection tips, I will certainly keep them in mind. I guess my question was more specific to the model 1161 with the slide. I'm hoping to learn that if I do indeed find this camper pretty well preserved and not currently damaged under the slide can the "Lance" poor engineering from the factory be repair so as to make it a good camper to own? It does sound like from reading the forum and other internet sites that it is a fix that can be done that will make it an enjoyably camper. We do like the side entrance door and floorplan.

Thanks,
Phil

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a few screwdrivers along on the inspection. Randomly pull out some screws around the trim molding, especially in the skirt area. Damp screws are an obvious answer. However, if they are rusted, that is an indication of previous water intrusion.

That said... On an 18 year old camper, I highly suspect you will find some rusty screws. Your tolerance toward that damage and assessment of its severity relevant to your decision to purchase or not is up to you. However, it can certainly be a negotiating tactic you use to lower the price.

Good luck!
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
ANY brand used RV can have hidden water damage. If the previous owner did not keep up on roof sealing or keeping the window screws tight (and replaced the window butyl tape when needed) you can have hidden damage that is hard to find. Obvious water stains are not the whole story. Leaks can go on for years inside walls and ceilings before stains make them obvious. A hot day is the best time to inspect..if the RV has that "old RV stink" when you step inside, you can be pretty sure there is hidden moisture inside the roof and walls that has caused mold and the smell. RVs that have always been kept watertight do not stink. Wet wood and insulation is where that comes from. Can be very costly buying a used RV that has not been taken care of. A 2001 is pretty old. It's had lots of time to be neglected by previous owners.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I do have the same MY Lance and if you read Lance forum, the design has one of the best floor plans on the market, but engineering left weak point, what is the front corner under the slide.
Where you have metal channel under the slide and metal chanel in vertical corner, where the jacks bolt, those channels are not connected and all what holds that critical corner is some staples over the wood.
Once that has been repair, you will enjoy the camper.
On Lance forum you will find several member who loved the design so much, that after the original frame rotted, they spend (probably more than original price) on full rebuild.
Any dually will be fine for it. This is one of the lightest 12-footers with slide on the market.
Also check the wood above the slide as on mine - the awning had screws applied with no sealer and the holes allow for water penetration.