cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Porpoising" - How to Tame the Rocking Camper

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
Struts are the only solution Lance parts representatives can offer for out of control forward and back rocking of a camper. Trouble is they don't support my 2019 Lance 650 on my 2016 Toyota Tundra (with Timbren). It's structurally not capable of supporting the stresses struts would exert on the cabover sez Lance.

So my quest here is for alternative fixes. I've tightened the hold-downs as much as I can. I've got Timbren installed. Without the possibility of struts to dampen the camper I'm at a loss. And please refrain from telling me "You don't need them" until you drive my rig. This is my third truck and fifth camper (I won't count the Class C or converted bread truck) and I've never experienced anything as bad as this rig. Any and all help to dampen the rocking of this horse will be greatly appreciated. TIA Andy Rodagin
2019 Lance 650 on a 2016 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab with Timbren.
34 REPLIES 34

Bedlam
What Andy is describing is a TC that is not being held down evenly on a flat surface. The fact that the cab over is touching the truck cab also shows it is sitting too low in the truck bed or it is sitting on something that compresses and is spongy.

I would start by by making sure the truck bed is flat and is not crowned in the middle like some GM models. There should not be a plastic bed liner in place because it compresses and slides around too much. With a rubber mat in the bed, you should have a couple of inches between the truck roof and camper to allow for frame flex when traversing uneven ground. If you do not have clearance, one or two sheets of high density foam insulation sheets under the bed mat should help. If this not enough, a wooden platform needs to be built under the camper to get sufficient clearance. Now that we know that the camper is on a secure base, it needs to be tied down. I prefer a spring loaded turnbuckle with even tension on all four corners - Honestly, this is hard to achieve unless you use the lever style turn buckle or you have an exposed spring where you can measure compression. There are a number of tie down brackets available but I don’t recommend any that attach to the truck bed on the new trucks - The metal is just to thin and will bend or buckle over time. Find a way to attach to the internal bed anchor points or attach a bracket to your truck frame.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with the easy stuff. First check and see if the bottom of the camper and the bed of the truck are both flat. Then I would put it on a scale and see what all the weights are front back and total. You could also measure if your frame flexes when you load the camper. You can also try loading the camper in different spots. My truck seems to ride better with the camper a few inches back and offset to the passenger side.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
AndyRodagin wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And feeling some weight transfer back n forth once when you hit a big dip or bump in the highway is not porpoising.

How about no big dip or bump necessary for the TC to oscillate like a rocking horse. No concrete highway with expansion joints necessary. Just driving down the road. When I DID hit a big dip the cabover slammed into the cab roof.

What then IS porpoising?

I'd say that is a poor setup, but you could call it proposing or whatever. But what you're describing doesn't involve the truck's suspension, it's actually a combo of both components flexing too much or not enough clearance between the overhead and the roof.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I run a 2007 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison long bed crew cab with 19.5 single rear wheels carrying a Northern Lite 10-2 CD SE. It used to porpoise really bad all the time. All I know is after I installed KYB Monomax shocks, the porpoising stopped. It has never recurred. I highly recommend KYB Monomax if they make them for your rig. -Mark.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
AndyRodagin wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And feeling some weight transfer back n forth once when you hit a big dip or bump in the highway is not porpoising.

How about no big dip or bump necessary for the TC to oscillate like a rocking horse. No concrete highway with expansion joints necessary. Just driving down the road. When I DID hit a big dip the cabover slammed into the cab roof.

What then IS porpoising?

If the TC is securely tied down, and you have decent cab to cab over clearance that is not good at all! Sure sounds like the frame is got some flex going.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck is overloaded, get a lighter camper or a bigger, stronger truck.

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I do t understand how a camper could porpoise unless ... you're just seeing the overhead part flex and think you're feeling it not just seeing it.

Lance 650? Doesn't take a lot of truck to haul it. What truck is it in and what is done to the rear suspension?

2016 Toyota Tundra crew cab with Timbren installed.

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
rickjo wrote:
Whoa... let's consider what porpoising really is.

It is the frame of the truck flexing at or near the cab/bed location. All the weight of the camper in the bed causes to frame to flex when that weight is set into motion. 😞

Whoa is right if this is the frame flexing. How long can that go on before metal fatigue leaves me with a two-part truck? I think this is right about what's happening because as I watch the bed wall edge relative to the underside of the camper overhang in the mirror while it's happening I don't see the camper moving differently from the truck side wall. So the flexing must be happening between bed and cab, ie. the frame. Yikes.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
AndyRodagin wrote:
finsruskw wrote:
Tundra, Therein lies the problem!! add smiley face (here)

smiley face aside, do you have anecdotal evidence to share or are you just being snarky for brand loyalty/dissing sake?

Ditto, finsruskw, got anything valid to say?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
...COG plays big role here as well, so did you weight your truck empty and with camper to estimate COG?

No. Good advice.

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
oops...

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

What then IS porpoising?

AndyRodagin
Explorer
Explorer
finsruskw wrote:

smiley face aside, do you have anecdotal evidence to share or are you just being snarky for brand loyalty/dissing sake?

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer