cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel Travel on I-90 from Montana to seattle

Jackielee
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip first of September going out west from Georgia. Wondering about best scenic routes from Billings/ Yellowstone area to Seattle.

And is it difficult travel for 40' fifth wheel
14 REPLIES 14

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Jackielee wrote:
We are planning a trip first of September going out west from Georgia. Wondering about best scenic routes from Billings/ Yellowstone area to Seattle.

And is it difficult travel for 40' fifth wheel

When you really want to avoid the freeways try this:
Work your way up to I-94,west, leave it at Glendive Mt. and go to Circle Mt. and the 200 and 87 to Great Falls Then the 200 again to Missoula and then 12 as directed.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Jackielee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank yโ€™all so very much.

One more thing.... maybe ??

Is there a good app that would take me from home to destination on scenic routes for my rv and not put me on interstate if I donโ€™t want to ?

Thank you. Yโ€™all are great !!

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
I would encourage anyone who has not yet driven in the western U.S. mountains to evaluate their tow vehicle capabilities. The grades, both up and downhill, are not similar to that which exist east of the Mississippi. The ability to pull long (5 and more miles) steep hills in hot weather, and more importantly, having enough braking capacity (including engine braking) is imperative.

The above is not to scare you off, but it is not a safe driving experience for marginally equipped vehicles.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just did US 12 Across Washington, Idaho and Montana eastbound with rig in signature.

From Lewiston to Lolo, MT is a beautiful drive along the Clearwater River and over Lolo Pass, and yes as you get into the Bitterroots on the east end there is a curvy road sign that says "Next 77 miles"!

If you are going to be traveling in the mountains get the Mountain Directory app for your phone. For westbound 12 over Lolo Pass it says: "Going west from the summit truck warning sign says -- 6% grade next 5 miles -- trucks 35 MPH. It is a steady descent at 6% with many 35 and 45 MPH curves. After 5 miles of 6% there are 3 miles of lesser grade before the road begins to roll and then level out. About a mile down from the summit is a sign -- Winding road next 77 miles. Yes, that is seventy-seven!"

A fun drive in my truck!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://wenatcheeriverpark.org/ and https://parks.state.wa.us/541/Lincoln-Rock are two of our favorite spots near Wenatchee on Hwy 2. The fall colors on Stevens Pass on Hwy 2 to Western Washington are great in Sept. Before reaching to top of the pass there is a wide shoulder to pull off on, and get out and look across to the hill side colors.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

1Wheeldrive
Explorer
Explorer
Get the RVParky and ParkAdvisor apps if you have a smart phone. You won't find too many forest service campgrounds anywhere in the west that will accomodate a 40 foot 5th wheel (I have a 35 foot 5th wheel and travel a lot in the Pacific Northwest). The only one I know of on Hyw 12 is the Powell Campground just west of the summit of Lolo Pass. It has maybe a half a dozen sites that would take a 40 footer (I stayed there about 3 weeks ago). Private campgropunds are another matter.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 CC Long Bed
2012 Voltage 3200
2006 KLR 650

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Us 12 has many US forest service campgrounds. Only a couple have hookups.
WA 821 has BLM campgrounds with no hook ups.
No clearance issues on US 2, WA 20 WA 821 or US 12.
Commercial campgrounds are available along most of the routes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jackielee
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m sure I do t know how to use this yet but for all those who replied THANK YOU.
Now I need to know about campgrounds on same route. Are there plenty or at least a few?

My husband wants me to ask about any low tunnels which Iโ€™m sure there are non as you wouldnโ€™t have sent us this way. I just want to get off interstate. Thatโ€™s how we travel mostly and I want to see homes and stuff. Just not interstate stuff

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We do US 2 west from Spokane to Wilber then north to grand Cooley and work our way to Brewster and the north cascade high way to Burlington Wa and I-5
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

sunbug
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 40 ft. fifth wheel on hwy 12 is doable, however as I recall there is a sigh telling of 70+ miles of curves. Depends on how you like twisty roads. Interstate 90 is a very nice trip and many picturesque towns such as Kellog Idaho and Coeur d Alene Id. By the end of Sept. some Federal Campgrounds close. Do your research. We have traveled Hwy 200 also and it is a very nice trip.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the routes are quite scenic but stay out of Seattle unless you need to be there. US 2 is an easy drive although traffic gets heavy as it approaches I-5. 12 is not a difficult trip either.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may consider WA 20 for return trip east out of Mt Vernon, WA
Or US 2 east out of Everett, WA.
Both are good two lane highways.
Could take US 12 all the ay west to I-5

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly consider the route that enblethen suggested, but I-90 is also a pretty drive......though, it is still an interstate! The Lolo route would be a great choice.....maybe I-90 for the return trip.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
West out of Missoula, I would drop down on to US 12. It is a good two lane highway. Yes it has somewhat of a steep decent from Lolo Pass. It is not bad if you are aware of it. Follows river down the canyon to Lewiston/Clarkston
Another of our favorites is WA 821. It takes off near Selah, WA and follows the Yakima River. Some great BLM campgrounds along it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow