cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Update - Frozen at Downloading 100%

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
how long should I wait to see what happens? I'm downloading the latest update to Windows 10 and it has said Downloading 100% for the last 30 minutes. Any suggestions?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
20 REPLIES 20

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have advocated on this forum in the past to always run all the W10 updates. I have to come clean now. While I still advocate running all the updates, I have been fighting to update my PC for the last week and I've finally made it to the second last major revision: 1809. When 1809 first came out there were problems and I'm one of the few who suffered data loss. I recovered from that but was left with a PC that wouldn't update. Almost a year later I decided it was now or never. The vast majority of people would have wiped their hard drive and started over, but I have too many legacy programs that would be impossible to recover. I can't give you the entire story but I was left with a partial install of a W10 component that I could neither disable or delete. Ultimately I decided to break it even more and then I was able to disable it. Many thanks to the members of the Windows 10 support forum who helped interpret the setup logs and find the errors.

So to those of you complaining about how long a major update takes, I agree with you. I've done it at least 20 times in the last week.

I have not yet decided when to attempt the upgrade to 1903 (the latest version). I think I'll let the dust settle for a few days.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
I got a Google Pixel Book and I never have to mess with all that. Not a single hourglass or beach ball ever.
My wife and I have between us two Google Pixel phones, a Samsung tablet, an Ipad Mini, a Chromebook, a laptop and PC with Windows 10 and a PC running Linux Cinnamon. None of that has anything to do with the subject of this thread. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Google Pixel Book and I never have to mess with all that. Not a single hourglass or beach ball ever.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Lower left corner, "clean up system files"
Make sure there is check mark in the boxes. It will clean system files, then comes back to clean up. Then do clean up. Make sure the boxes are checked for what you want to delete. Make take a while for first time

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Make sure you do disc cleanup!

I just let Win 10 update on both my laptop and desktop and it ran OK and didn't take near as long as some here report.

I agree with enblethen about disc cleanup with one caveat. After I saw that the Windows update finished and all was well I wanted to do a disk cleanup and get rid of the Windows.old folder that wastes a lot of disk space. I went directly to Disk Cleanup that gets you to this window:

Apparently the above window is not the route to a real disk cleanup in Windows 10 version 1903 (and maybe earlier versions). It doesn't offer deleting the Windows.old folder as an option as it used to. And if you try to just delete the Windows.old folder it fails due to lack of authorization.

After some online searching I found that this is the path to success:

- Go to Settings - System - Storage that will get you to this window in which you should turn Storage Sense on at the top if it is not already on and then click on then click on Configure Storage Sense or run it now.

That will get you to the window below. Here you can configure Storage Sense to your preferences. No option is visible on this image to delete Windows.old because I have already deleted it on my system, but this method works flawlessly when you click on the things you want to clean up including the delete of Windows.old and click on Clean Now.

Hope this helps someone as it was a little frustrating to me until I found this path.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure you do disc cleanup!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
original poster here. I shut it down after another 2 hours. Started the download up again this morning for about 1.5 hour, then shut it down again to hit the road. Started it up again just before 3 p.m.. Finished downloading in 10 minutes, then took 3 hours to install with 5 or 6 reboots. Just got up and running and I'm checking things out now.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Windows Surface updated yesterday. I took it out of the storage bin and decided to update it. I do that one or twice a year as I only use it once a year anyway to do taxes. It took several update sessions to finally get to the new version, but all worked well, several hours though.

The most expensive PC I ever bought was a IBM PC AT with 16 meg of memory, and a single diskette drive. Had to pay extra for a huge for the time 20 meg hard drive, total cost was over $6K.

I currently use my iPhone or iPad for 99% of what I need to do. For the most part everyday they just work, I donโ€™t have to worry about constant updates for security purposes. Are they perfect, heck no but my experience with them over the last 5 years is so much better that the 20 plus years with Windows. I have only touched a Mac once while helping out a friend and it was not a pleasant time.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My main laptop computer got updated on Tues and the other one I use for social media only came in on Wed. All went smooth on both units...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any luck? I would try to wait 24 hours before you pull the plug.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Let it run. Takes hours.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My most expensive computer ever was a Mac laptop. Total cost was about 6 grand. Within two years it would no longer run the latest update from Apple in "real" mode which is what the software I wished to use required. I would have been a MUCH happier person without Mac.

Further, I can run legacy software from the 1980 era on my windows 10 laptop.

Just hot off the press: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/article-us-aviation-regulator-bans-select-macboo...

Some mac book pro units are a fire risk.

eubank wrote:
Please buy a Mac. It sounds like you might be a happier person with one.
Lynn
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Schedule updates for 2 AM so you don't have to watch. Problem solved.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
Please buy a Mac. It sounds like you might be a happier person with one.
Lynn

It ain't so easy for those of us that have huge amounts of expensive business software that won't run on anything else.