cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbren vs. Sumo Springs

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to decide between the two. Right now, I can get by without either but figured I would add either of the two for increased stability. My sag is not that bad, an extra half inch would be nice though.

My sense is that the main difference between the two is the Sumo Springs appear to have more "travel"? Meaning they can compress farther than the Timbrens. I feel like in my situation the Sumo Springs might work better since I don't need a lot of support, just a little, and the extra travel might equate to a little better ride loaded since the Sumo Springs can compress more.

I could be totally wrong about all this. So what is everyones opinion of the SumoSpring vs Timbrens??
15 REPLIES 15

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
DieselBurps wrote:
Spoke with Timbren, they recommend th single convoluted because the double convoluted could 'flip over' on itself. Now I am really confused because it seems most here have the double convoluted.

This is going on a Ram 3500 cab and chassis by the way total camper weight is around 3,500 lbs loaded up.

The only thing that Timbrens maybe concerned about is the double convolute would slip off the axle tube, because there is no flat landing pad on the axle. If you go with the single convolute you can always remove that 1” thick rubber spacer to custom tune the ride and ride height.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
2018 ram cab and chassis

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
What year is you Ram 3500 cab and chassis?

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I have the HD's which are single convolute, they have been great.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bedlam
Before adding additional suspension, I would look at preloading the existing more. With just additional preloading of my upper and lower overload springs, I was able to carry a heavy camper without increasing the spring rate. If you still need help additional help after preloading, that is good time to start looking for additional suspension support or swapping out your existing springs.

Although I do not have experience the Timbren and Sumo springs, I did experiment with a similar concept using Energy Suspension and Torklift upper StableLoad spring pads. The Energy Suspension pads compressed more giving a softer ride, but compressed too much for my use and didn't negate my sag. Your use of one these springs will depend not only on how much additional weight you want to suspend but how much clearance you have between the stop and the spring and how compressible it is under load.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke with Timbren, they recommend th single convoluted because the double convoluted could 'flip over' on itself. Now I am really confused because it seems most here have the double convoluted.

This is going on a Ram 3500 cab and chassis by the way total camper weight is around 3,500 lbs loaded up.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Sumo Springs, did not work well for me, I tried air bags, got some bounce. I went to a suspension and spring shop, They really were experts final result they rebent the spring pack to factory specifications, and then added a extra spring to the spring pack best ride of everything I tried. Just my experience what worked for me might not for you, But it was the very best modification I did for handling along with rancho 9000 shocks.
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://timbren.com/blog/2019/01/22/dont-make-mistake-twice/

https://timbren.com/blog/2017/09/11/truth-severe-service-kits/

The one on the left is double. The one on the right is single. Generally, the single convoluted bumpers are harsher with less travel.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-199590.html
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
What is the "double" convoluted Timbrens? Looking at the website it looks like there are two options, one of the Timbrens appears to be taller.

Still can't make up my mind which way to go.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had Timbrens (double convoluted) on our 2006 F350 drw for 12 years and they worked great. We put Timbrens (double convoluted) on our new 2018 F350 drw last year and they are working well.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I added the heavy duty Timbrens after the first year with my camper to help when pulling my trailer. No weird proposing, sway, or maintenance with them like some have with air bags.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Timbrens work great for me too. I agree on their after the sale service.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Timbrens since 2006, and chose them over the Sumos because of the rubber construction vs the poly construction of the Sumos. I used the double convolute on my 2005 1 ton and then tried the single convolute on my 2015 dually.
Didn’t like the single convolute so I talked with Timbrens, after looking at different double convolute specs, and they sent me a set double convolute that I felt would ride softer and allow the truck to set level at full load.
I am very pleased with my setup and you can’t beat Timbrens for their great customer service.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had Sumo springs on our F350 for three years and around 30,000 miles. I chose them over Timbrens for the same reasons, more travel and a bit softer compression. I have been very happy with them.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired