Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Timbren vs. Sumo Springs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Timbren vs. Sumo Springs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
DieselBurps

SLC

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spoke with Timbren, they recommend th single convoluted because the double convoluted could 'flip over' on itself. Now I am really confused because it seems most here have the double convoluted.

This is going on a Ram 3500 cab and chassis by the way total camper weight is around 3,500 lbs loaded up.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before adding additional suspension, I would look at preloading the existing more. With just additional preloading of my upper and lower overload springs, I was able to carry a heavy camper without increasing the spring rate. If you still need help additional help after preloading, that is good time to start looking for additional suspension support or swapping out your existing springs.

Although I do not have experience the Timbren and Sumo springs, I did experiment with a similar concept using Energy Suspension and Torklift upper StableLoad spring pads. The Energy Suspension pads compressed more giving a softer ride, but compressed too much for my use and didn't negate my sag. Your use of one these springs will depend not only on how much additional weight you want to suspend but how much clearance you have between the stop and the spring and how compressible it is under load.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the HD's which are single convolute, they have been great.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What year is you Ram 3500 cab and chassis?

DieselBurps

SLC

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2018 ram cab and chassis

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DieselBurps wrote:

Spoke with Timbren, they recommend th single convoluted because the double convoluted could 'flip over' on itself. Now I am really confused because it seems most here have the double convoluted.

This is going on a Ram 3500 cab and chassis by the way total camper weight is around 3,500 lbs loaded up.

The only thing that Timbrens maybe concerned about is the double convolute would slip off the axle tube, because there is no flat landing pad on the axle. If you go with the single convolute you can always remove that 1” thick rubber spacer to custom tune the ride and ride height.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Timbren vs. Sumo Springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.