Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about wifi amps and receivers

divemaster5734
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and trailer camping.
Just got my first purpose built travel trailer, which I am already using for remote projects, and will use for the first time this weekend to stay in the pits at motorcycle race events.
I play on closed circuit asphalt tracks, MX parks, and off road enduro events usually held at an ORV park.
The reason I got so detailed is I am trying to decide which antenna/amplifier to get.
Depending on the event, there may not be any organized "facilities" for miles.
Most of the tracks have power, but the MX and enduro events are primitive and miles from the nearest anything.
I've been reading reviews and write-ups for two weeks and my head is about to start spinning in circles.
If any care to share, I would be very interested in what system you use and how it performs.
Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
You are better off trying to use a smartphone as a WiFi hotspot. If there is cell service in the area, you can get boosters for a better signal. If you are miles away from a WiFi source, you won't have much luck bringing it into your RV.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

LiamBlack
Explorer
Explorer
A powerful antenna should help. Why don't you understand the amplifier, do you want to distribute it from a mobile or another device?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
divemaster5734 wrote:
but the MX and enduro events are primitive and miles from the nearest anything.
A wifi antenna/amp can't make something out of nothing.

Ubiquiti has some devices they claim will hit 40 miles.. The one I have says it's good for 4 but In both cases that is line of sight no trees and I strongly suspect a "like" device at the other end.

Mine is a Nano Station Loco M2

And I will tell you it made a HUGH difference in several places I park
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most public WiFi service sucks even when you’re standing next to the source so adding an antenna and amp won’t help.

I went with a Weboost RV antenna/amp which boosts all cell systems and added a OTRmobile ATT puck and we have Verizon iPhones. Between the three, I can usually get acceptable speeds in the 3-10 MBs range. Sometime faster.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Wifi over miles, without controlling both ends? That's a big ask.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
divemaster5734 wrote:

Absolutely!

If there is WiFi signal but it is weak then upgrading equipment may make it better. If there is zero signal then you are out of luck. Zero times anything equals zero.

If you have marginal signal and want to make it better I would suggest that you look at Ubiquiti client radios.

Something like this: https://www.ui.com/airmax/powerbeam-ac-gen2/

That is what I use on the road.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
divemaster5734 wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget wifi is a two way conversation. If you have a nice radio and antenna on your end, and you're trying to talk to a Walmart special radio over distance on the other end, it might just not work.

Unless you're a licensed HAM there's limits on what you can technically do antenna and power-wise with WiFi.

If Internet is a high priority for you, look at a cellular booster and personal hotspot or 4g router.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Start with a good antenna. The "rubber duckie" that are on most WiFi Access points are not very good. Sadly the nest antennas are very directional (they work in the direction the are pointed). Omni-directional antenna just don't work as well.

The "best" antennas are a Yagi design. A horizontal stick with small stick coming out at 90° from the main stick. Very directional, but very good and cheap !

Because 802.11 uses two different frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz) you really need two antennas. If you are handy and can do some simple soldering there are DIY video on how to make your own. Accuracy of wire lengths and angle of bend is VERY IMPORTANT !

Also when frequencies are in the GHz GOOD amplifiers that really work are $$$ !

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dive,

If you are that far from anything, why do you think that a Wifi amp will do you any good at all?

If you think it might, then go for an add-on USB 802.11 called Alfa. they are inexpensive and when I do use mine, I can often work with an access point I can't see.

What you probably will do better with, if I understand you correctly, would be to use your smartphone as an internet access hot spot. And if the places you go have bed coverage, then get a dedicated repeater (aka booster) like a WeBoost or other and put up a good outside antenna.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.