cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

College Park MD to Nags Head OBX

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Those that have traveled from the DC area to the OBX please advise a route.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox
5 REPLIES 5

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I will do about anything to stay off of I-95, especially around the DC area. I would probably head down US 50 to 301s if I were in a hurry. If not, head across to Annapolis and head down 13.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
US 50 to US301 south over the Potomac at the Gov. Nice bridge then I-295 to I-64, then Rt 158 to Rt 168 to Rt 12. Need to turn off propane in the Norfolk tunnels.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The Assateague/Chincotreague route is the prettiest, and the 26 mile long bridge tunnel is an oddity, You must turn off propane before going on the CBBT.
The 95 to 64 routes do let you stop in Williamsburg if you wish, the recreated areas are fascinating and there are good parks in the area. Also the Busch Gardenns/ Water Country USA theme parks if you have kids along.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
If you are just touring and not in a rush, Id suggest going to Annapolis and taking US 50 across the Chesapaeke Bay, and visiting Assateague Seashore, or just meeting US 13 south across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to I-64 east in Norfolk, to 168 South in Chesapeake, then straight down to the OBX.
Two other options
I-95 south to I-64 east to I-664 to I-64 to 168 South (fastest)
or
I-95 to I-64 east to 168 South, {plan time carefully rush hour on the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel is horrible}

Overview map

Thanks for the quick response. Have done your site suggestions, just have never been to the OBX.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just touring and not in a rush, Id suggest going to Annapolis and taking US 50 across the Chesapaeke Bay, and visiting Assateague Seashore, or just meeting US 13 south across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to I-64 east in Norfolk, to 168 South in Chesapeake, then straight down to the OBX.
Two other options
I-95 south to I-64 east to I-664 to I-64 to 168 South (fastest)
or
I-95 to I-64 east to 168 South, {plan time carefully rush hour on the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel is horrible}

Overview map