cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laws/Regulations for RV Fresh & Waste Water Service

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any? I'm guessing there might be one that prohibits using the same tank for both fresh and waste water. Other than that it don't look like it.

Getting on in years, we traded the 5er for a coach and unhappily find that both the fresh water service and waste water service are in the same underside compartment. Disgusting. What genius thought that up? And how was doing it "sold" to Winnebago?
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Weeellllll,, a long time ago, back when things were different, and I was a heck of a lot younger. We used to have parties with large quantities of beer in things called Kegs. If you went into the bathroom, at this type or party, and someone was using the toilet then the sink was another option.

Don't worry anyone. Those old houses have been either torn down or remodeled.

Ya know, now that you mention it, last several years, don't see anyone peeing in the sinks at concerts and sporting events anymore.....Maybe I'm not going to the right concerts!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
legitimate question for the OP: how was the wet bay...fresh water intake and gray/black tank discharge...arranged in your 5โ€™er?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
NFPA 1192 covers plumbing and other systems in RVs. Doesn't prohibit grey water emptying into the black tank if that's what you meant. Sure wouldn't want to share "fresh" water and "waste" water. :E

๐Ÿ™‚

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
4x4van -What is so terrible about the pipes being in view? Do you want me to put pants and underwear on my TT o that you can't see its private parts. Do you get disturbed when you drive past a field and see a cow taking a **** without using an outhouse?
I think we have more important things to get upset about.

I was actually being facetious, since the OP seemed so aghast at the sewer outlet and the city water inlet being located near each other. But yes, if you could put at least underpants on your trailer, I'd appreciate it.:W
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
In a home the bathroom sink and toilet share same room, same cold water plumbing.
One just has to remember to not wash hands in toilet or pee in sink.

Good one. I wanted to say this.

Well thatโ€™s why common sense is fo........... never mind!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
In a home the bathroom sink and toilet share same room, same cold water plumbing.
One just has to remember to not wash hands in toilet or pee in sink.

Good one. I wanted to say this.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I understand what the OP is commenting about - I can see where having the waste tanks and the freshwater tank sharing a compartment can be both convenient; and a source of contamination. I sure wouldn't leave my white water hose and sewer hose laying together; but it's probably not too hard to keep things apart with plastic bins? And if the freshwater fill is inside that same compartment, giving it a spritz of bleach before connecting the hose would be prudent?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Methinks too many people are "disgusted" by too many petty little things nowadays...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
NFPA 1192 covers plumbing and other systems in RVs. Doesn't prohibit grey water emptying into the black tank if that's what you meant. Sure wouldn't want to share "fresh" water and "waste" water. :E

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van -What is so terrible about the pipes being in view? Do you want me to put pants and underwear on my TT o that you can't see its private parts. Do you get disturbed when you drive past a field and see a cow taking a **** without using an outhouse?
I think we have more important things to get upset about.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
One just has to remember to not wash hands in toilet or pee in sink

Same for an RV.....
Pay attention and don't cross contaminate or use same hose for potable and waste.

Weeellllll,, a long time ago, back when things were different, and I was a heck of a lot younger. We used to have parties with large quantities of beer in things called Kegs. If you went into the bathroom, at this type or party, and someone was using the toilet then the sink was another option.

Don't worry anyone. Those old houses have been either torn down or remodeled.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
What I find disgusting (or at least ugly) is that nearly all TTs and 5ers have the sewer drain valves exposed below the siding of the trailer. Yuck; I don't want to see that all the time. ๐Ÿ˜„
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"find that both the fresh water service and waste water service are in the same underside compartment. Disgusting."

Meh, after building enough sewer treatment plants and municipal sewer work, what you're describing is nowhere close to disgusting......
Heck, even the jobsite turd burglar (porta potty service guy) eats a smmich once in a while, while emptying chitters!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"One just has to remember to not wash hands in toilet or pee in sink"

Words to live by brotha....

IDK wth the OP is talking about though....