cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is tongue weight calculated in CGVWR?

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
I'm contemplating buying a pop-up trailer that would push the limits of my tow vehicle. I want to make sure I understand what all the figures mean. Let's use round figures to aid with our gorilla math.

My combined max gross weight rating of my vehicle is 9,000. The vehicle weight loaded with gear and people is 5,700. The trailer with gear weighs a measured 3,000 with a tongue weight of 400. Is my combined gvw 8,700 or 9,100?
24 REPLIES 24

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
I would never use cruise control while towing any vehicle at any time. But that's just me, YOMV.

What's the why of that?
I witch because I must be going too fast so can't use all the time I want.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never use cruise control while towing any vehicle at any time. But that's just me, YOMV.

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
sdclaw21 wrote:
ependydad wrote:

If you're worried about 400 lbs, maybe consider a second vehicle to move people out of the tow vehicle?

Thanks. Just this morning I had the idea that if I strapped the wife to the rear bumper of the trailer for the longer trips I would lessen the tongue weight a bit.

Hope like heck your wife don't read this! This could get construed badly or VERY badly, lol!
I'm thinking if my wife ever went through my internet browser history my posts here would be the least of my concerns.

Would anyone use cruise control Towing with a front-wheel drive vehicle?

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
sdclaw21 wrote:
ependydad wrote:

If you're worried about 400 lbs, maybe consider a second vehicle to move people out of the tow vehicle?

Thanks. Just this morning I had the idea that if I strapped the wife to the rear bumper of the trailer for the longer trips I would lessen the tongue weight a bit.

Be careful doing this. It might lead to too light of tongue weight and will induce sway, whipping your wife from side to side until she falls off. Just be aware that if the sway suddenly gets better, you may have to go back for her.

I'm reminded of the idea to see who loves you more, your wife or your dog. Toss them both in the trunk, got for a 10 mile drive, stop and open the trunk. The one happy to see you loves you more.

An no, my wife doesn't read these forums. Why do you ask?
If I put both her and the beer cooler back there any sway issues will gradually improve as the trip goes on.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
sdclaw, you're thinking right. And sounds like you understand what you're doing. Wouldn't bother me to make a few trips with the minivan and a popup. And if it doesn't handle the trailer to your liking, you're already thinking ahead to plan B. Have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
sdclaw21 wrote:
ependydad wrote:

Be careful doing this. It might lead to too light of tongue weight and will induce sway, whipping your wife from side to side until she falls off. Just be aware that if the sway suddenly gets better, you may have to go back for her.

I'm reminded of the idea to see who loves you more, your wife or your dog. Toss them both in the trunk, got for a 10 mile drive, stop and open the trunk. The one happy to see you loves you more.

An no, my wife doesn't read these forums. Why do you ask?
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
There is no such thing as "combined GVW".

Your GVW is 6,100.

Your GCW is 8,700, assuming your trailer's weight was measured correctly.

GVW is tow unit only. A trailer and truck is a vehicle combination, not a vehicle.

Soooooo... we're arguing semantics regarding placement of the C?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
sdclaw21 wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a pop-up trailer that would push the limits of my tow vehicle. I want to make sure I understand what all the figures mean. Let's use round figures to aid with our gorilla math.

My combined max gross weight rating of my vehicle is 9,000. The vehicle weight loaded with gear and people is 5,700. The trailer with gear weighs a measured 3,000 with a tongue weight of 400. Is my combined gvw 8,700 or 9,100?

The CGVWR is the weight of the entire combination. If you get the entire rig on the scales while hooked up. That is your combined weight. So yes. The tongue weight is counted in the CGVWR. No need to add it twice.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
There is no such thing as "combined GVW".

Your GVW is 6,100.

Your GCW is 8,700, assuming your trailer's weight was measured correctly.

GVW is tow unit only. A trailer and truck is a vehicle combination, not a vehicle.

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
It has surge brakes. I've never used surge breaks but my dad has them on his boat trailer and likes them. I've heard they are subject to fading when useing prolonged engine braking on steep grades which shouldn't be a problem in Iowa.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that popup has brakes! GOOD brakes
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Water? Propane? Batteries? You want to be โ€œgood,โ€ but youโ€™re not.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
Re calculated and it looks like I have 1k pounds left over for gear and clothing. Im coming up with 7700 combined with max rating of 8750. I think im good. Now, who wamts to volunteer to drive a motorcycle directly in front of me?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Towing on the โ€œedgeโ€ isnโ€™t fun for the driver, isnโ€™t good for the tow vehicle...just isnโ€™t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad