Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Onan 5500 Backfires and Dies under a load
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Onan 5500 Backfires and Dies under a load

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

Full Member

Joined: 09/28/2018

View Profile



Posted: 08/16/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakecityemt wrote:

Great thought, but instead of it pulling 35 feet from the tank its now pulling it less than 2 feet. Problem also happened with fresh gas from the tank.

No,
electric fuel pumps are placed inside tanks or below the tank especially in high performance applications
Your pump would do better being level pulling 35' than trying to pull 2' from below.
I doubt they would put a gas tank 35' away
Why are you using a separate tank?

lakecityemt

Alaska, United States

New Member

Joined: 08/15/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

lakecityemt wrote:

Great thought, but instead of it pulling 35 feet from the tank its now pulling it less than 2 feet. Problem also happened with fresh gas from the tank.

No,
electric fuel pumps are placed inside tanks or below the tank especially in high performance applications
Your pump would do better being level pulling 35' than trying to pull 2' from below.
I doubt they would put a gas tank 35' away
Why are you using a separate tank?


This is how it is set up in my toyhauler. THe Genset is under the front bedroom, the tank is in the very back under the garage. 41 foot toyhauler. Unless there are 2 fuel pumps, we just replaced the one at the genset thinking that could be the problem. It was not. It now appears it was the spark arrestor.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/17/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

I doubt they would put a gas tank 35' away
The gas tank on my toyhauler is "only" 30 feet away from my generator.

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

Full Member

Joined: 09/28/2018

View Profile



Posted: 08/17/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sure seems like a lot.
I just measured mine. 13' from outlet on gas tank to inlet on gen on a 34' rv.
Maybe they put the tanks under the toy hauler garage to be used to fill up the toys too?

lakecityemt

Alaska, United States

New Member

Joined: 08/15/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

That sure seems like a lot.
I just measured mine. 13' from outlet on gas tank to inlet on gen on a 34' rv.
Maybe they put the tanks under the toy hauler garage to be used to fill up the toys too?


Yes mine has 2 tanks for gas, one for gen and one for toys. also 2 grays and a black, therefore i'm sure its a weight distribution issue.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/18/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

That sure seems like a lot.
I just measured mine. 13' from outlet on gas tank to inlet on gen on a 34' rv.
Maybe they put the tanks under the toy hauler garage to be used to fill up the toys too?
My toy hauler is 42'6". The generator tank is the rear tank right behind the tank for gassing the toys.

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

Full Member

Joined: 09/28/2018

View Profile



Posted: 08/18/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it still working?
Did you leave the arrestor plug out?

lakecityemt

Alaska, United States

New Member

Joined: 08/15/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/18/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

Is it still working?
Did you leave the arrestor plug out?


We are out of town after testing it with out the plug, it will be a few weeks before I get back to the RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Onan 5500 Backfires and Dies under a load
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS