cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 2018 Fleetwood Bounder it has thr big refrigerator that runs off the inverter
The guy told me when I am on shore power it still runs on the inverter not on the 110 volts? It is a Samsung how do you turn it off?
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have a Magnum Inverter/CHARGER. It has a Pass thru relay that when ON Shore Power or genset, the current passes thru. IF you turn the Inverter OFF and you do not have 120 current thru the Inverter, then your Inverter relay is bad. Depends on the Brand and Model of refer. Some refers have NO off switch. Some have a switch that turns the compressor OFF but leaves the interior controls and interior lights on. You need to read the operators manual for your Brand and Model refer to determine if and how you turn it off. Do NOT turn the Inverter ON unless you want to have the appliances connected to the Inverter to operate when NO Shore or Genset power. If you forget to turn it OFF and store your RV the Inverter will drain the Coach batteries in 2 to 3 days. Faster if the refer is left on. Doug

PS, If NOT connected to Shore Power and the Inverter is OFF, your refer will then be OFF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The salesman said....
You know why they (Salesmen) wear name tags (per the old joke) so they can remember their name.

The fridge TECHNICALLY runs off the inverter plugged in or not...
But what is the INVERTER running off of when you are plugged in.

Inverters come in two "Flavors" for this post (really 3 but we will call the 3rd 2A)

Stand alone
Battery---Inverter---Device(s)

And pass through

LIne--Inverter--Device(s)
-Battery+^

and Inverter chargers (Same diagram as Pass through but the ^ becomes ^V works both ways)

You likely have the last of those.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug
the model is MS2000

scott

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Post Brand and Model of your Inverter. MOST Inverter only,have pass thru 120 relay. BUT, they do build some without a Pass thru 120 relay and you have to turn the Inverter ON to run those appliances. Inverer/Chargers WILL have a Pass Thru 120 relay. So, if your model does have the pass Thru relay, that relay is bad. Doug

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys I too thought once plugged into AC it would take over ,now the other day I was in it with the inverter turned off plugged into 20 amp 110 didnโ€™t have Tv until I turned on the inverter?
This Rv is new to me,it is my 4th one! I just donโ€™t understand the way this refer works

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Unless yours is wired completely different, your inverter should have a "cross over" switch that automatically "switches" the source of power originating from the battery (12v DC) to shore power (120v AC) as soon as you plug your camper into shore power. The output from the inverter is 120v AC, same as household power, but the cross over switch knows when to switch the source of power from household to the inverter.

It is possible the refrigerator is wired directly to the output of the inverter and does not use a transfer switch at all. Either way, the output of the inverter will go through a breaker or fuse of some sort. That may be in your house breaker box, or somewhere else. I found an entire second set of fuses under the floor of my Fifth Wheel when I removed the wall from inside the overhang pass-through. I'm assuming those are for the inverter and everything the inverter powers.

Below are two screen shots of the wiring diagram for my inverter. As you can see, these diagrams are using a transfer switch. But the output from the transfer switch is still going through fuses somewhere.

FYI, I also have a Samsung and I've read instruction till I'm blue in the face, and even called Samsung direct as asked how to turn the refrigerator off - completely. Answer? You can't. The only option is to unplug them. You can turn off the cooling unit, but there is still power to the light inside. To completely turn it off, kill the power.

If yours is wired directly to the inverter, all you need to do to turn it completely off, is to simply turn the inverter off. Try turning the inverter completely off and see if the refrigerator turns completely off, lights and all. If it doesn't, then the power line running to it is on a transfer switch, switching from battery to shore power. (provided your camper is plugged into shore power).

Crossover - Transfer switch output is pathed to a secondary sub panel of breakers or fuses:

Crossover - Transfer switch output is not pathed to a secondary sub panel of breakers or fuses, instead is wired directly into a wall socket.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought these newer ones ran off the inverter until they were plugged in, then it automatically switched to shore power? Do they make an inverter that has auto changeover capability? I wouldn't want to be taxing my batteries 100% of the time.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe guy told me...โ€ The salesman? LOL! His/her second day selling RVs? Formerly pumping gas in Oregon? That guy/gal?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
1-flip the circuit breaker
2-press and hold the temp setting button for the fridge section. that should power it off. do the same to power it back on.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle