cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

J C Refrigeration / Dutchaire HVAC

Brian3820
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, wanted to post on my experience with JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana Indiana. My RV originally came with the norcold double door refrigerator and freezer. Because of the recall (fire hazard) on my cooling unit... it was replaced with the Dutchaire unit. When I purchased the RV, during maintenance and general cleanup, I opened the outer cover and discovered a rats nest of wire. While it seemed to cool ok, my fans were not working. So, I called J.R. at JC Refrigeration... he was very quick to help and had me send pics. He discovered a wiring issue and instructed me how to fix it.. still no fans though. I made an apt and drove over to Indiana. J.R. began working on my RV promptly at 6am. There were a few wiring issues, as well as 2 wrong heating elements and a bad burner. He quickly repaired those, and then determined both of my fans were original (2002) and locked up.. Jeremy, his son, quickly removed my fridge, crawled through the outside access hole, and climbed up and replaced both fans. Long story short, whoever installed this cooling unit (end user or RV dealer) didnโ€™t do it quite right and used old parts from the Norcold install. J.R. Did a great job of making things right and safe. Additionally, I wonโ€™t post the final cost...but I can say it cost less than my 42โ€ tv hanging on the wall...EXTREMELY reasonable! Very thorough... we are pleased... highly recommend.
4 REPLIES 4

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Most OEM cooling fans are cheap sleeve bearing fans that puke after a while. When replacing cooling fans the best bet are ball bearing fans or no bearing fans.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I think a big take away from this post is, JC found a Refer that had been incorrectly repaired. If not for them finding that, most owners would have assumed that their problem was a Norcold problem by design. Doug

Brian3820
Explorer
Explorer
I think itโ€™s very close... they said give it a 24hr jumpstart before really planning to put food in. I ran it overnight, 12 hours... I had a cup of water in the freezer and a bottle in the fridge. In the morning, I had a solid block of ice and a very cold bottle of water. I did run it on setting โ€œ9โ€ which is supposed to be the coldest setting. So far, very pleased with its performance.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
How is the performance of the unit now that it is installed correctly ? Would you say it as good as a residential 'fridge ?