cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NYC - Central Park

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to NYC a couple times, but just barely stepped foot in Central Park. We want to see more of it this coming trip.

Anyone have advice on special-not-to-miss parts of the park?

Oh - and if anyone has advice on where to get the best burger in Manhattan...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
10 REPLIES 10

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
About 20 years ago, a friend and I took what turned out to be a private bike tour of Central Park. It was a couple of hours, and the girl leading it showed us her favorite little places, like the Bow Bridge and the Ramble. Having a bike makes it possible to see a LOT more of the park than walking.

That said, I was poking around and noticed a "hidden secrets" walking tour. I know nothing about it other than reading the website.
https://www.centralpark.com/tours/walking/hidden-secrets-of-central-park/

If Central Park is a high priority for you, then using a bike to cover more distance and sights, and adding the "hidden secrets" tour or something like it, might be a good combination.

The same year I took the bike tour, I took a tour on one of the open-top double-decker buses, and when going down 5th Avenue along the park, the guide pointed out Harlem Meer and said it was the Reservoir. Argh. Suffice to say the park was best done with someone who loves it in particular.

As for burgers, in my opinion they are too variable to name a "best" because it depends on what a person likes, but an interesting place is Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian hotel on 56th Street. The entrance is in the lobby of this fancy hotel, behind a curtain, marked with a neon hamburger. Just burgers and fries in a very small space (best to avoid lunch hour), but interesting because it's just so odd that it's there.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
pasusan wrote:
HadEnough - this is great! The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the number one item on our itinerary. So glad to get info on the park...

Last time we were there we did check out the Dakota and popped into the park from there. Now we've got ideas on where to go and what to see. And we've got the burger joints whittled down too, lol.

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks to the other responders also - guess I could have mentioned that we have our itinerary pretty mapped out - except for the park and the burgers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad to be of help. Have a great trip!

PS: I'm a rabid BareBurger fan. Was trying to be unbiased. Ha ha ha
Not to worry - as I looked it up it is organic - that's where we're going!

Thanks again!

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
HadEnough - this is great! The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the number one item on our itinerary. So glad to get info on the park...

Last time we were there we did check out the Dakota and popped into the park from there. Now we've got ideas on where to go and what to see. And we've got the burger joints whittled down too, lol.

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks to the other responders also - guess I could have mentioned that we have our itinerary pretty mapped out - except for the park and the burgers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad to be of help. Have a great trip!

PS: I'm a rabid BareBurger fan. Was trying to be unbiased. Ha ha ha

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I have never been to the 9/11 memorial and will never go. I got to see, hear and smell it all in real life. That was enough 9/11 for me. ๐Ÿ˜•

rhagfo wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
Wow! What am I reading?? If anyone thought there was nothing to see in central park, they should have made a post like the op did above to get some help. It's one of the best and most interesting places in all of NYC.

Places to see:

I suggest starting (or ending) at Columbus Circle. Southwest corner of the park. There is a whole foods where you can pick up a nice prepared lunch for a picnic on the lawns.

Carousel*
Central Park Zoo
The Mall
Bethesda Terrace and the singers in the steps area there*
Strawberry Fields for John Lennon fans
Loeb Boathouse (and The Lake)*
The Ramble
Belvedere Castle*
The Metropolitan Museum of Art*
Conservatory Garden

*denotes a must see

If you didn't think Central Park was amazing, you had no idea where to go. It's probably the best thing in NYC.

Burgers:

Best high quality burgers and incredibe shakes are at BareBurger.

Most popular is Shake Shack.

Surprisingly good but simple is Schnipppers.

Very nice list,
Before retirement work took me to NYC many times starting in 1997. Back then I was several pounds lighter I would run the loop road inside the park (6.2 miles) the park is a lot more than the side that faces 59th it extends to south Harlem. Enjoy your visit to NYC, but also visit the 911 Memorial very moving.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
HadEnough wrote:
Wow! What am I reading?? If anyone thought there was nothing to see in central park, they should have made a post like the op did above to get some help. It's one of the best and most interesting places in all of NYC.

Places to see:

I suggest starting (or ending) at Columbus Circle. Southwest corner of the park. There is a whole foods where you can pick up a nice prepared lunch for a picnic on the lawns.

Carousel*
Central Park Zoo
The Mall
The Ramble
Belvedere Castle*
Conservatory Garden

*denotes a must see

If you didn't think Central Park was amazing, you had no idea where to go. It's probably the best thing in NYC.

Burgers:

Very nice list,
Before retirement work took me to NYC many times starting in 1997. Back then I was several pounds lighter I would run the loop road inside the park (6.2 miles) the park is a lot more than the side that faces 59th it extends to south Harlem. Enjoy your visit to NYC, but also visit the 911 Memorial very moving.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks a bunch!

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer

Places to see:

Carousel*
Central Park Zoo
The Mall
The Ramble
Belvedere Castle*
Conservatory Garden

*denotes a must see

Burgers:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We walked into Central Park. Not really much to see! Yes they have the fountain and the bridge, along with some ponds, but nothing overly exciting. I would spend more time at ground zero, liberty and Ellis islands.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We are big on bus trips. Surely there is a bus tour that takes in Central Park. Feel like renting bicycles to tour the park?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
While there don't miss Ellis Island. My wife does a lot of genealogy research (family)and she loves it there.