cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this RV to long in the back to launch 24’ boat.

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Is this RV to long in the back to launch 24’ boat.

woops can't upload image heres a link https://www.copart.com/lot/43991339/Photos

I have been informed that the rear of this type of RV cutaway contains the generator

And some RVs that are to long will get dunked in water during lauching the vessel.

So My ? is how long is to long to prevent dunking? Like feet past the rear wheels.
most ramps I use are normalley pitched however there are a few that are steep.
Thanks TB
10 REPLIES 10

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
the vessel is a 24' aluminum pilot cruiser.basicelly a RV that floats. hull is semie deep,she drafts 20" which is shallow easing launch/retrieval.
the trailer tongue tube is long enough to keep the normal tow vehicles tires out of the water usalley about 1- 1 1/2' when the trailers fenders submerge she's free of bunks.

I haven't purchased a RV yet. I'm still deciding on which type is best suited for current needs.I am also considering a old school UPS postal truck converted
into a crude RV w/ a transplanted cummings turbo desil engine and trans.get a totaled RV for engine & furnishings.this vehicles rear doesn't extend excessively like the above mentioned ford V10cutaway.
one of my favorite smaller RVs is the chinook cutaway on a 4x4 silverado

as far as the rear end getting dunked I could elevate the rear height while backing down ramp vessel will still float off trailer and the rig will be dry.

yes I agree the van type cut away being very low to start w/ if I remember correctly the express 1500 had 11" off the street to lower part of trailers tongue tube which is low 15 would be aceptable here. however the trailers rear suspension leveles the vessels load.

still having excesive tiree wear on rear of tamdome tires I have another thread on this issue.

new tow vehicle 07saab 97x same as trailblazer 5.3i AWD 305HP330torque 6500LB tow capacity 13"front &rear disc brakes mid sized SUV w/ tahoe power just 900LBs lighter.awesome tower& braker.
mearsures over 21" from street to to lower part of trailers tongue tube

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really understand the concern. Seems to me the longer the overhang, the less likely you are to put your rear wheels in the water. I would certainly not dunk my motorhome, but have no issues launching our little 18' ski boat at normal launch ramps with our motorhome (that has ~10' overhang).

I do not put any part of the motorhome in the water, sometimes I have to winch the boat up a bit more than I'd like depending on steepness, but it works. On launch, a good rolling brake check releases the boat from the bunks nicely.

With 10k pounds on my rear wheels, slippage on the wet ramp is not an issue. I have traction issues when retrieving with my little Nissan Fronier 2wd, but not with the motorhome.

I have a front hitch, but have not yet used it for launching/retrieving. Only for carrying things. Seems like it would be a hassle to disconnect/reconnect to the rear hitch every time.

I generally have someone in the boat to drive it on/off so I never get out of the drivers seat, but for the rare occasion that I launch solo (be it in the pickup, or motorhome) I do have a rubber wheel chock on a long string that I put behind the front tire to be safe. I can then retrieve it remotely from the drivers seat when pulling forward.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
moebedick wrote:
So many variables.... I launch my 18’ Seaway Sportsman using my front mounted hitch. So far ,by far,the best solution to launch and retrieval.

What he said. Front hitch is the way to go. No chance of dunking anything, drive wheels nowhere near the water.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
So many variables. If your 24’ boat is a sailboat with a keel, forget about it. You will drown the truck. If it is a shallow draft power boat on a roller trailer, you don’t need to go deep to launch but you may have to for retrieving. A bunk trailer requires depth for both procedures. You definitely don’t want too long an extension on the vehicle because it will stick out straight when the boat is on the ramp,causing the trailer to be at an extreme angle. Could cause lots of damage. You could get an extension for the trailer ( 6’) and submerge the trailer while the truck stays high and dry. I had a B Touring Cruiser and launched a Whaler Montauk,but I never enjoyed it. I now have a F250 ,4wd with a slide in camper. I launch my 18’ Seaway Sportsman using my front mounted hitch. So far ,by far,the best solution to launch and retrieval.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Brain,
I would be very cautious. If you are launching in tidal water and the water is down, the rear could end up on the slippery part. There are lots of Youtube about this......

Are you launching an little motorboat? Those are easier.
Boats that have masts are usually more difficult.

Have you considered the possibility of getting front hitch installed?
The drive wheels are on the dry and the driver can see what he is doing.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Y-Guy
It will really depend on the lake levels, the ramp angle and the tongue on the boat trailer. Your generator does appear to be at the back and that far back the risk of submersion is something to take serious consideration. The other challenge is retrieval, as you know. From what I see, it's going to be very risky and I'm not sure I'd do it.

I launch with our Winnebago and I've seen a lot of different setups over the years try, and some fail to launch. One time we were camping and guy had a very nice Diesel pusher and nice boat, he never launched the boat himself. In the bay of his rig he had maybe a dozen, or more, cases of beer. He'd go find a guy with a pick up he said and make a deal. His boat never spent the night in the water. Smart man if you ask me.

One option, I wouldn't do it to tow with it, but for launching might be to get a tow bar extension to put on/off.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would not want to launch a boat from the back of that motorhome. The rear overhang is not huge, relatively speaking, but the back end is relatively low to the ground. I think in most cases it would work out fine if you installed a front mounted hitch for launch duties, which would also give you much better vision for maneuvering to the ramp.

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer

9 times outa 10 when I launch w/ conventional tow vehicle either express 1500 or the saab97x the rear wheel s tend to get close to the water sometime even in the water during slow tide conditions.

so the longer the rear behind the wheels the greater the possibility of dunking.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Try this for your photo
Photo posting

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
not sure how the rear end being farther back than the wheels has anything to do with dunking? the hitch will be proud of the rear end regardless. the problem I see is with the potential to high center if the wheel spacing is too far or the ramp too steep. either way this would suck. a lot. could likely work on most ramps though not all. by the same definitions there are some ramps that don't work with a lot of vehicles including off the lot pickup trucks. pick your ramp and have fun.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....