Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is this RV to long in the back to launch 24’ boat.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is this RV to long in the back to launch 24’ boat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
thebrain

x

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this RV to long in the back to launch 24’ boat.

woops can't upload image heres a link https://www.copart.com/lot/43991339/Photos

I have been informed that the rear of this type of RV cutaway contains the generator

And some RVs that are to long will get dunked in water during lauching the vessel.

So My ? is how long is to long to prevent dunking? Like feet past the rear wheels.
most ramps I use are normalley pitched however there are a few that are steep.
Thanks TB

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not sure how the rear end being farther back than the wheels has anything to do with dunking? the hitch will be proud of the rear end regardless. the problem I see is with the potential to high center if the wheel spacing is too far or the ramp too steep. either way this would suck. a lot. could likely work on most ramps though not all. by the same definitions there are some ramps that don't work with a lot of vehicles including off the lot pickup trucks. pick your ramp and have fun.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this for your photo
Photo posting

thebrain

x

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
9 times outa 10 when I launch w/ conventional tow vehicle either express 1500 or the saab97x the rear wheel s tend to get close to the water sometime even in the water during slow tide conditions.

so the longer the rear behind the wheels the greater the possibility of dunking.

* This post was edited 08/16/19 09:22am by an administrator/moderator *

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not want to launch a boat from the back of that motorhome. The rear overhang is not huge, relatively speaking, but the back end is relatively low to the ground. I think in most cases it would work out fine if you installed a front mounted hitch for launch duties, which would also give you much better vision for maneuvering to the ramp.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will really depend on the lake levels, the ramp angle and the tongue on the boat trailer. Your generator does appear to be at the back and that far back the risk of submersion is something to take serious consideration. The other challenge is retrieval, as you know. From what I see, it's going to be very risky and I'm not sure I'd do it.

I launch with our Winnebago and I've seen a lot of different setups over the years try, and some fail to launch. One time we were camping and guy had a very nice Diesel pusher and nice boat, he never launched the boat himself. In the bay of his rig he had maybe a dozen, or more, cases of beer. He'd go find a guy with a pick up he said and make a deal. His boat never spent the night in the water. Smart man if you ask me.

One option, I wouldn't do it to tow with it, but for launching might be to get a tow bar extension to put on/off.
[image]

* This post was edited 08/16/19 09:26am by Y-Guy *

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brain,
I would be very cautious. If you are launching in tidal water and the water is down, the rear could end up on the slippery part. There are lots of Youtube about this......

Are you launching an little motorboat? Those are easier.
Boats that have masts are usually more difficult.

Have you considered the possibility of getting front hitch installed?
The drive wheels are on the dry and the driver can see what he is doing.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many variables. If your 24’ boat is a sailboat with a keel, forget about it. You will drown the truck. If it is a shallow draft power boat on a roller trailer, you don’t need to go deep to launch but you may have to for retrieving. A bunk trailer requires depth for both procedures. You definitely don’t want too long an extension on the vehicle because it will stick out straight when the boat is on the ramp,causing the trailer to be at an extreme angle. Could cause lots of damage. You could get an extension for the trailer ( 6’) and submerge the trailer while the truck stays high and dry. I had a B Touring Cruiser and launched a Whaler Montauk,but I never enjoyed it. I now have a F250 ,4wd with a slide in camper. I launch my 18’ Seaway Sportsman using my front mounted hitch. So far ,by far,the best solution to launch and retrieval.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moebedick wrote:

So many variables.... I launch my 18’ Seaway Sportsman using my front mounted hitch. So far ,by far,the best solution to launch and retrieval.

What he said. Front hitch is the way to go. No chance of dunking anything, drive wheels nowhere near the water.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't really understand the concern. Seems to me the longer the overhang, the less likely you are to put your rear wheels in the water. I would certainly not dunk my motorhome, but have no issues launching our little 18' ski boat at normal launch ramps with our motorhome (that has ~10' overhang).

I do not put any part of the motorhome in the water, sometimes I have to winch the boat up a bit more than I'd like depending on steepness, but it works. On launch, a good rolling brake check releases the boat from the bunks nicely.

With 10k pounds on my rear wheels, slippage on the wet ramp is not an issue. I have traction issues when retrieving with my little Nissan Fronier 2wd, but not with the motorhome.

I have a front hitch, but have not yet used it for launching/retrieving. Only for carrying things. Seems like it would be a hassle to disconnect/reconnect to the rear hitch every time.

I generally have someone in the boat to drive it on/off so I never get out of the drivers seat, but for the rare occasion that I launch solo (be it in the pickup, or motorhome) I do have a rubber wheel chock on a long string that I put behind the front tire to be safe. I can then retrieve it remotely from the drivers seat when pulling forward.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is this RV to long in the back to launch 24’ boat.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.