Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A tire blowout with a twist....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A tire blowout with a twist....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We own a 1999 Ford Taurus, it is a second vehicle and doesn't get used too often. It runs great and really hasn't given us any trouble. I rotated the tires back in November and used the doughnut spare to assist me in rotating them. The spare was fine then. The spare is stored in the trunk of the car.

My wife was driving it on I-95 about 85 miles away from home and had a blowout. She called AAA to put the spare on. When the mobile service arrived, he found a large hole in the spare that wasn't there back in November. I did have to put air in the spare at the time since it hadn't been used since the last time I rotated the tires.

She had a soccer ball that had been left in the car explode once and she thought she had a blow out. I can't imagine what a tire exploding in the trunk would sound like.

Anyone else ever had a blowout from a tire not in use?

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know of two people who had Carlisle spare tires blow out on the back of a RV. Both were fairly new tires as well. This was before the new and improved Carlisle tires came out.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along time ago bias ply tires were all there were. I waswithmy Uncl on the road in Indiana. He heard tire thump.
Got out and changed the left rear. We wtcched as the knot on the tir got bigger and about the time he was going to lift it into the trunk its very large swelling and it went bang.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally a spare in the trunk won't age as fast as the other tires due to no sunlight.. But that's under a metal trunk lid.

Now a "Contential" mount (common on vans and such) with a fabric cover (Transparant to UV) ages FASTER than the tires in service.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a dry rotted 12 year old spare pop in the trunk of my 1988 olds Ciera once. Full size 14 inch tire that had been on the car for about 10 years, and then about two years in the trunk. It scared the heck out of me when it popped, as I was driving through a pretty tough neighborhood at that time, and my first reaction was it must have been a gunshot. It was only a few days later when I open the trunk And saw the decorative cover blown apart by a piece of separated tread that I realized what the noise was.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was working framing a garage for a guy that was into changing rims and tires for any different occasion. There was a stack of newly mounted tires and rims about 30 feet away. I heard a noise, looked up and saw the tire on top suddenly burst with a loud gunshot like sound. It blew out right before my eyes and on a cold day too. The owner tried to blame me somehow, but assured him it wasn't anything I did. He is lucky it blew while not on the vehicle and no accident.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add to the story, she was making her way home from NJ. She left NJ about 3:45 in the morning and had a strange incident on I-95 just north of Baltimore, MD. She had the radio on, when something happened. She thought it might have been a blowout, but then realized the sunroof had a softball size hole in it. There is a sunshade that normally covers the sunroof, but she realized it was the sunroof when she heard glass cracking and flying off the roof of the car.

Originally, we thought maybe someone threw something off an overpass or something came flying off a vehicle on the overpass. Since it was about 5:30 am, I was leaning more towards something coming off a vehicle on the overpass. I'm curious if it was the blowout of the spare that caused the sunroof to break. Fortunately, there was a Walmart at the exit, so she grabbed some duct tape and a tarp, cut it to size and taped it to the roof.

-Michael

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A tire blowout with a twist....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS