cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stupid move

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
ok, i know it was a stupid move but i have issues that are clouding my thinking. i was putting two new 6 volt batteries in for the coach and hooked them up backwards. i now have no 12 volt lighting and cannot crank my generator. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. so you know i am not always stupid i have a son dying of cancer. much appreciation in advance.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛
19 REPLIES 19

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Great that you got it fixed. Safe travels to Florida
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
well i only blew one board for 12 volt, thank god. it only cost 1200.00 but all is well. many thanks for all the response. i had a very good local truck repair shop take care of me. they work mostly on trucks but they are a great family owned shop. PAPPY'S TRUCK AND TRAILER, CLARKSVILLE,IND.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google 2005 National Dolphin main battery fuse. May help had veto and diagram information on location.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Show me somebody who doesn't make mistakes and I'll show you somebody who doesn't do anything.

I've made worse mistakes my friend but I'm not going to post them on here....too many. LOL

The good news is you'll never make that mistake again!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The disconnect has a fuse as well and there may be an additonal fuse or breaker

For that matter the Generator may have a fuse or two in the starter line as well.

Best outcome: Popped fuses and or tripped master battery breaker

Worst outcome. Fried a control board or 3

THANK YOU.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Where do you live? Maybe someone could check this problem out for you?

at present i am in southern ind. i took it to a local family owned shop this morning but they can't get to it until monday. by the way very good shop. i need to go back to fl. where my son is. thank you all for the responses.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where do you live? Maybe someone could check this problem out for you?
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The disconnect has a fuse as well and there may be an additonal fuse or breaker

For that matter the Generator may have a fuse or two in the starter line as well.

Best outcome: Popped fuses and or tripped master battery breaker

Worst outcome. Fried a control board or 3
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
ADAD437 wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
Adad,

I reject you label of "stupid", you have a very serious distraction.

Now, you did the series of the bank correctly but got the ground on the wrong end. Correct?

Have you checked to see if the installed bank is still good? I suspect it is...
If there is a house bank disconnect (aka salesman switch), they are polarity sensitive. If you can find it, check voltage there again.

On a side note. Most of the 12V devices have protective diodes and fuses, so even if those blew, there is little change of major damage. Batteries get hooked backwards with regularity.

I wish you peace.

Matt

THANK YOU.

yes i do have them right now. yes they are still good, are you saying the disconnect switch could have blown?

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Adad,

Now, you did the series of the bank correctly but got the ground on the wrong end. Correct?

If there is a house bank disconnect (aka salesman switch), they are polarity sensitive. If you can find it, check voltage there again.

On a side note. Most of the 12V devices have protective diodes and fuses, so even if those blew, there is little change of major damage. Batteries get hooked backwards with regularity.

I wish you peace.

Matt

THANK YOU.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My "guess" is that you blew the main fuse coming from the batteries. Mine is behind a black plastic cover so it is not readily visible just by looking in the compartment. If you don't see it right away, I would start looking behind any covers in that area. Also, I would check for blown fuses labeled 12v lights in your main fuse panel.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have a stack of house fuses for 12v. Look for a couple main fuses that are 30+ amps.

Otherwise what converter do you have that supplies 12v power?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Adad,

I wish you peace.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.