Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Ford F53 Suspension
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Ford F53 Suspension

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Smiley123?

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2000 Infinity 32 foot F53 V10 and I am looking for ways to improve the ride. How about Sumo Springs? Any other suggestions?

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure. Inspect/replace any/all worn bushings with new parts. If they haven't been replaced, chances are your shocks are tired and in need of replacement. Have the alignment checked. Put the suspension back where it "was and should be" when it was new before you start to modify anything.

What do you mean, specifically, when you say, "improve" the ride.

Chum lee

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The single most cost effective way to improve your ride is to replace your shocks with Koni FSD shocks. The cost of the shocks are around $170 each for a total of close to $700 but if you don't want to feel every tar strip on the highway, they're the way to go.

Check your fitment but these should work depending on the GVW of your chassis.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-RV-........ord/Koni-8805-1019-Ford-F53-Rear-(98-19)

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-RV-........nt-(88-19)-Tiffin-Allegro-Breeze-(10-12)

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I improved the stability of our MH by moving the links to the swaybars closer to the axles. It's called the "cheap handling fix" and it works great. I had to replace the bushing on the swaybar right afterward because the fix put a heavier load on them. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/iWPIXOhrdMQ

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Ford. I installed the FSD's on my front suspension and it greatly enhanced the ride comfort.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Cider

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sumo springs do help and are an easy install. Koni FSD shocks really help too. We just did a full bore upgrade to our F53: 1 3/4" Roadmaster replacing factory front anti sway bar, added two additional forward facing rear anti sway bars for a total of 3 on rear, rear trac bar to prevent tail wag, Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, and quad Koni FSD shocks all around. Also had a 4 corner weight done which stated adjusting tire pressure down to 88 psi and a laser alignment. I could not believe the difference in handling and ride comfort the changes made. No longer whipped after 4 hours of driving and fighting the coach! If you were to take a piecemeal approach - do the shocks, front sway bar and possibly the rear trac bar, then as time and money allows, follow up with the rest, or, just a piece at a time. We decided to just bite the bullet and do it all at once rather than making 3 or 4 trips back and forth over time to get the upgrades.

bsheet2

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cider wrote:

Sumo springs do help and are an easy install. Koni FSD shocks really help too. We just did a full bore upgrade to our F53: 1 3/4" Roadmaster replacing factory front anti sway bar, added two additional forward facing rear anti sway bars for a total of 3 on rear, rear trac bar to prevent tail wag, Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, and quad Koni FSD shocks all around. Also had a 4 corner weight done which stated adjusting tire pressure down to 88 psi and a laser alignment. I could not believe the difference in handling and ride comfort the changes made. No longer whipped after 4 hours of driving and fighting the coach! If you were to take a piecemeal approach - do the shocks, front sway bar and possibly the rear trac bar, then as time and money allows, follow up with the rest, or, just a piece at a time. We decided to just bite the bullet and do it all at once rather than making 3 or 4 trips back and forth over time to get the upgrades.

So did you put the Sumo Springs on also?? Or just the items you listed.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can throw all the money you have towards obtaining a smooth ride to mimic air springs. IMO the only remedy that is practical is the https://liquidspring.com/

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just put sumo springs on my workhorse w22.It has its pros and cons.It handles much better a lot less body sway but you feel the bumps in the road a little more.For the money and ease of install I would do it again

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 12 class A had the front and rear Sumos on it when I bought it. With proper air pressure in the tires it rides very nice for a 30+ year old chassis. I only feel the harsh jolts from very bad highway expansion joints and repaired sections.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Ford F53 Suspension
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS