cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a hitch costs and needs

Dr_Tachyon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Ford F-150 and need to install a hitch. Just getting into to RVing any advice would be helpful. Looking for knowledge on costs and anything I would need to be able to tow and travel trailer (3000lbs)
5 REPLIES 5

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll assume you've done your proper homework and know your numbers. 3000 lbs is pretty light (pop up?) and shouldn't require any special tow package on a F150. If you are remotely handy, go to etrailers.com and buy yourself a tow hitch and install it yourself. Around $150 and they are usually pretty easy to install. I installed one on my sisters minivan in about 30 minutes earlier this week. If you need a brake controller they are usually pretty easy to install as well.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
First question is the weight of the TT. Is that dry/empty? Or gross/loaded.
3000# is a pretty light TT, and would not require much.
Need to know the GVWR, if 3000 is not it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm worried about your payload number. What is it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you dont have even a 2" receiver on the rear, I would suggest you visit a local trailer or truck accessories shop and ask for an estimate on a class III hitch.
You can check U Haul
For a comparasion price.
As mentioned above you will need a 7 pin electrical connection and the shop should be able to tell you the maximum you can tow along with letting you know if you need a tranny cooler for your trailer.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your truck didn't come with a hitch it probably didn't come with an HD radiator or transmission cooler either. Have a shop check to be sure and if you're planning to tow in the mountains or SW then have them added. You will also need a 7 pin connector and trailer brake controller.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH