Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane tank removal

rv_jj
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!
I own a older 1990(possibly newer) class B Dodge Explorer, it was a gift from a friend, I would like to know if removing the propane tank is possible, it looks pretty old and rusted, there are a few valves, it has one warning on it that that says it only goes to 80% full and liquid will come out a certain valve when full.I certainly want to remove it and the line to the stove in the kitchenette. In the process of gutting it and this and the AC removal in the back is halting me. I appreciate any response, thank you so much!!!:)
4 REPLIES 4

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
rv jj,

I see you are in my neighborhood. am interested in this as well. I have a 1997 Xplorer 230XL. I sand and paint my propane tank under the van every 2 years or so. But I'm thinking I should have it replaced. It seems only RV shops do that. None of the propane or tank places I have called do that. I would not try this myself. I found the tank for $470 or so, but the one rv shop, Klines in Warren, said they would supply the tank (to make the profit on it) and would charge $130/hour for the labor.

Here is the tank. You can see where it is mounted.
https://www.rvautoparts.com/6814-Manchester-Tank-Propane-Tank-ASME-Permanent-Mount-Tank_p_34213.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38e8-trz4wIVy8DACh0sygokEAQYBSABEgIZMPD_BwE

We should meet to show each our Xplorers.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a single service valve that should be shut off, other than that, no.
I should add that the service valve has the regulator and lines coming off it- the fitting out of the valve has left handed threads.
-- Chris Bryant

rv_jj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, first time handling propane at all, are there things that need to be closed or shut off or anything?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Should be bolted to frame. Just disconnect lines and then unbolt.
Should be able to get direct replacement.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker