Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple new to RV travel Trailer's looking for advice

LiLMouse79
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I am looking for a TT under 30ft.
It's just the 2 of us but I know I want the following in a tt : 1 the booth style dinette. 2 I'd really like recliners instead of a sofa. Is that something I can modify myself? If so anyone have suggestions? And here is probably the biggest thing I NEED in the TT.... Enough height for my 6'4 husband to use the bathroom .
I am open to any and all suggestions on everything. Thanks for the help!!
14 REPLIES 14

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Go to an RV show... and wear comfortable shoes 🙂

My wife and I have been to a couple of national RV Shows.
I second the Comfortable shoes.
Either carry a camera or make a lot of photos on your phone.

The weekend shows are exhausting... Several hundred RVs in a day
is a bit much. Plan on going two days. Much easier.
Enjoy yourselves. When it ceases to be fun, It's time to go...

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Lance 2375 that has a large rear window and comes standard with two recliners. however, when we ordered ours we went with the rear sofa instead, but that's just personal preference.

Can't say enough about the quality of the unit.
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of one other thing that I found to be an issue. I found that kitchens in a slide were not workable for me sinc eI could not comfortably get close enough to the sink and stove to use them. Ceiling height in a slide is much shorter than the main cabin. Just one more thing to think about. As others have said, go to a show and look at as many as possible.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If you’ve never done this type “camping” rent one first. See if you thought it was what you expect. Then buy your first one used, floor plans can easily fool you. Also for his height look for one with the rounded roof. The bed, it may be hard to find one long enough in that size unit. If length is available you probably can have one made.
Have fun!!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that Lance trailers may fit the bill. Check out their website -- very informative.

PS -- I do not own a Lance, but I have looked carefully at them.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Outdoors RV, Mountain Class, Timber Ridge models. X2 on the RV size Queen 74” length vs the full size Queen of 80” length
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, and really important for taller people, you want to find a unit with a full length queen bed. Usually, if the manufacturer mentions the bed size, it is often 80 inches long, but be wary of the smaller bed length.

It really helps if you tell us the tow vehicle, and the rough price range you are considering.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to an RV show... and wear comfortable shoes 🙂

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
There are several brands out there with higher ceilings. I am 6'6" and have a Jayco Jayflight which works well for me. For the shower, I am able to stand in the skylight there and have enough room. I need to sit down in order to wash my hair without making a big mess so I use an upside down 5 gal bucket. Works for me. You will find that most beds are the Short Queen. I suggest that you be sure and get a walk around bed so that you can pull the mattress toward the foot some for more length. The space a the head can be filled with a piece of foam if needed. For me, I have a cabinet at the foot which I cannot open unless I push the mattress back. So, out for bed and then back when I get up.

When you are tall, life is easier if you learn to find ways to make things work. The world is just not configured for taller people.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of trailers come with the theater seating now, 2 recliners with a console in the middle. Lazyboy furniture would work to swap out because the backs come off and you can fit them into the 28 in door usually but check to make sure it does come apart. The shower might be an issue in the size trailer you are looking at. Go shopping and look at all the trailers you can. You will know it when you find it.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We just swapped out the couch in our toy hauler for one that has recliners. This was easy. Couch was in three sections designed to fit through 28" door.

That said, our first TT had the fresh water tank under it. Check this, as someone already has mentioned.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Just go out and go trailer shopping. The bigger the selection the better. Have your husband take off his shoes and step in the shower to insure it’s big enough. He should lay on the bed for the same fit test. Find the one you like with the stuff you want and the one that fits your husband. Ask if the dealer will swap out a sofa for recliners. Your doing the swapping after buying may be impossible because you can’t get the items through the door or window. I encourage you to get a trailer with at least one slide and longer than you think you want. We regretted buying the smallest and quickly moved to a fifth wheel for more room. Good hunting/shopping!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I always tell new RVers, to buy a 2-4 year old unit. It will have depreciated a lot and you can decide if you like camping or not.

The next problem new RVers have is the size of their tow vehicle. Anything over 24' would be a challenge for many 1/2 to pickups, unless properly equipped from the factory.

The problem with replacing a couch with a couple of recliners is that most couch have storage underneath or plumbing or electrical. Also the floor may be unfinished there.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make your husband sit down , much easier to keep clean !