cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harbor Freight solar working great!!

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
Day two into my 5 day trip and the 100 watt Thunderbolt panels from HR are working awesome! Full sunlight hits the panels at 9 A.M. and stays on then until 4:30 P.M.

Batteries were down to 12.5 volts (85%) and had them back up to 100% in 2 hrs.

Peak voltage coming from the panels I saw was 14.2.

Brian
11 REPLIES 11

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Twistedlarch wrote:
...snip......

I'm out exploring all day with my 8-10 year old boys.

I wanted a simple plug and play that'll bring my batteries back up during the day and I got exactly what I wanted.

Brian

Did you return the kit? Wasn't it fun to extend your trip quietly and simply? Welcome to Solar.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the update.. sometimes best thing to do is keep it simple

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Well done!! Lucky boys. Sounds like you are careful with juice -- if the battery is down to 12.5 after one night, you are probably a minimalist (like me). I bet you are not running the television much -- too much fun to be had outside!!

I think rule number 1 is to not bring a TV camping with young kids! My wife and i laughed last time we took the nephews camping. They handed us tablets and said "can you hook us up to the WIFI?" lmao! thats not how it works kids!

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
I use one panel and a charge controller to keep my battery charged in storage. Seems to work pretty good to keep the battery full while I'm not using it (also keeps me from having to take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger for months).

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my new Coleman 100W cheapie is all wired up and tested good. labor day is a dry weekend for us to prove it out. I enjoyed reading this.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Those are junk and will fail within the week!

HaHa. I am thinking about the HF panels as well. I would like to not have to worry about the batteries if I ever dry camp. Keep us updated.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
100 watts total right? Thunderbolt controller? Solar is great if it can work for you.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well done!! Lucky boys. Sounds like you are careful with juice -- if the battery is down to 12.5 after one night, you are probably a minimalist (like me). I bet you are not running the television much -- too much fun to be had outside!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Twistedlarch wrote:
Day two into my 5 day trip and the 100 watt Thunderbolt panels from HR are working awesome! Full sunlight hits the panels atmo9 A.M. and stays on then until 4:30 P.M.

Brian

Good job. Like most of the reviews, you are having fun. Get ready for the 'They ain't no good crowd". Don't let them spoil your camping fun.

The "ain't no good" crowd can kiss my you know what!

I'm not sitting on my arse in my trailer all day complaining about how crappy others people's stuff is, I'm out exploring all day with my 8-10 year old boys.

I wanted a simple plug and play that'll bring my batteries back up during the day and I got exactly what I wanted.

Brian

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Twistedlarch wrote:
Day two into my 5 day trip and the 100 watt Thunderbolt panels from HR are working awesome! Full sunlight hits the panels atmo9 A.M. and stays on then until 4:30 P.M.

Brian

Good job. Like most of the reviews, you are having fun. Get ready for the 'They ain't no good crowd". Don't let them spoil your camping fun.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have an interrupter to keep the panels from over charging or are you monitoring the batteries and disconnecting when they are full?