cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tie Downs

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been looking at pop up truck campers lately, found a Sunlite near me that weighs just over 1000 lbs, very basic camper to say the least but good for my half ton truck.

I've been looking at tie downs and am wondering just what I need? Of course the stake pocket ones look good because of the price but are they enough? I really like Torklift but man they are pricey. Is there a happy medium out there? I'd like something removable.

I'll mainly be travelling to local lakes with my boat in tow so I won't be doing any serious off roading with it.

Thanks for any input.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado
29 REPLIES 29

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
For ten years we had a Phoenix camper weighing about 1000 lbs in an eight-foot-bed Tundra. The floor of the camper was bolted to the bed of the truck. And we never had a problem with this arrangement.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
DR802 wrote:
I have a 2011 Ford F150 with NorthStar TC850 1875lbs dry and Brophy tiedowns that I have driven from Vermont to Florida and it never shifted

I used to have a pair I kept around before they disappeared in a garage sale..Stake pocket tie downs work great..I had an 8ft Lance on a '76 Ford F-250 that I just used a concoction in the stake pocket to hold it in place..Never had an issue in all over our Idaho mountains doing it that way with that TC.

No tie down except to the stake pocket itself and a "Noodle" to keep the chain from rubbing..(laughing)

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I used Happy Jacks for my 1997 Lance 165s on a 1999 f 250 PS Not frame mounted and worked fine no problems. I would not hesitate using the HJ in your situation.
I had the "buttons" on the rear bumper of the 1999 f 250 and I would say if there was a weak point in that set up, it was the rear bumper.

The rear buttons aren't worth beans. Why I made up a tubular rear mount that sits in my Class 5 receiver and extends to each side. The button mounts just tweak the rear bumper.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I used Happy Jacks for my 1997 Lance 165s on a 1999 f 250 PS Not frame mounted and worked fine no problems. I would not hesitate using the HJ in your situation.
I had the "buttons" on the rear bumper of the 1999 f 250 and I would say if there was a weak point in that set up, it was the rear bumper.

DR802
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Ford F150 with NorthStar TC850 1875lbs dry and Brophy tiedowns that I have driven from Vermont to Florida and it never shifted

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Curious, I was under the impression Happijac didn't start the "frame mount" until early 2000's. Our original HJ mounts, dealer installed 2001, didn't have the frame mount, maybe an option.
Though I never understood how a bent piece of flat bar, bolted thru floor and its formed sheet metal cross member could be described as frame mount.

Given weight and planned distance the Brophys adequate. The pocket style seem stronger using the pocket structure (and bolting thru sheet metal). The clamp on style might be less damaging to truck if reselling a consideration. Pockets style would be my choice but Brophys site states 2011 and newer not fitting?
https://www.crbrophy.com/tdhd.html
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
My happijacks I purchased new for my 1994 Ram tore the sheetmetal in my bed and were not attached to the frame in any way. I understand newer models were beefed up and do attach to the frame now. So this issue is probably moot today.

I purchased these happijacks as people warned me that the Brophy tie downs I was using could damage the truck even though they hadn't. Lesson learned. Back on went the Brophy tie downs on the front. I still used the HJ bumper attachment on the rear. This was on an old 11 foot hard side camper. That worked well for 8 years or so until my old jalopy of a camper was needing structural rebuild or replacement. I chose the later.

I ended up going to the torklift tie downs anyway when we purchased our first high quality camper a Bigfoot 10.6 in 2003. The dealer we purchased the camper from did all the install of the TL, 7 pin in the bed, air bags etc.

It seems that sometimes people have a one size fits all attitude with regards to tie downs. Certainly a small 1000 pound pop up with its low weight and center of gravity does not require the same solution as a 5000 pound 13' tall camper.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I sent a message to HJ and am waiting for a reply on my HJ that are not connected to the frame..A quick search brought me another person with a Ford that does not either and from this forum..I suppose it could be the year or possibly the make that does not let you tie them to the frame...

MY HJ do not attach to anything under the bed,the bed itself or the frame..

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 06/13/08 01:48pm

d3500ram wrote:

....Most people think that HJ attach the TC to the bed. That is not the case. When properly installed, HJ's ARE mounted to the frame vis a vis the bed.

That statement isn't entirely true. While on GM and Dodge trucks the HJ's do tie into an actual frame mount for the bed, on the Fords they merely attach to a sheetmetal reinforcing rib under the bed and not into an actual point on the frame. I know, I have a set.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Not exactly correct. I installed HJ tie down's on my 1997 F350 (still there and still use them), on my 3rd camper, same truck) and my HJ's secure to the front of the bed AS WELL AS TO THE FRAME and I'd consider my 97 install as older (installed them in 1997) so your comment don't hold much water in my view.

Well Sidecar,My 1994 Ford F-350 came with HappiJacks installed..They are "Not" connected to the frame in any way..Only the back and front of the bed with the cross-bar..Nothing to the frame...So in my view,my comment holds plenty of water..

Laughing
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Slymer wrote:
I don't know anything about HappyJack tie-downs but I love my Torklift Fastguns. You are right, they are expensive. Amazing customer service though. I think for me a lot would depend on how often I was going to be taking the camper off the truck. If it is often, paying the extra for Fastguns or HappyJacks might be worth it in the long run just for ease of use.

HJ makes the cam lock quick tie down's a well for less than half the price of the TL version. I have 4 on my truck.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Stake pocket tie downs have been used for years on heavier campers than your..They were the only choice for some in remote area's, years ago if you had a TC other than a pre-fabbed one..I have used them on several Truck Campers of old..

Stop and think about it..The old Happi-Jack tie downs were only secured by the metal of the bed,not the frame..Stop and think about it..The old Happi-Jack tie downs were only secured by the metal of the bed,not the frame..

This is from e-trailer on the stake pocket tie downs.

e-trailer wrote:

The Brophy Stake Pocket Mounted Camper Tie Downs part # TDSF are not given a weight capacity rating. The stake pocket mounted camper tie downs are instead rated to withstand the weight of your truck's payload capacity. Therefore, as long as the 1,600 lb truck bed camper you have does not exceed your 2017 Ford F-350's payload capacity and your truck does not have dual rear wheels, then they will work well for you.

In order to secure the truck bed camper to your truck you will need a set of turnbuckles such as the Brophy Basic Turnbuckles w/ Hardware for Camper Tie-Downs part # TDHP. These turnbuckles have a 3,000 lb weight capacity and a retracted/extended length of 7-5/8" - 12".

Not exactly correct. I installed HJ tie down's on my 1997 F350 (still there and still use them), on my 3rd camper, same truck) and my HJ's secure to the front of the bed AS WELL AS TO THE FRAME and I'd consider my 97 install as older (installed them in 1997) so your comment don't hold much water in my view.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My camper reaches 6000 lb with all the souvenirs and even with TL tie-downs I observe the 1.25" tubings pretty carefully.
Seems that with rubber mat camper weight holds it by friction as there is no way the ties could carry that much.
My front tie-downs were shaped into quite jigsaw puzzle as the frame is bend and twist at the mounting point. Would take me weeks to fabricate something to fit on try-by-error mode.
If you have C&C frame, those might be straight frames and easier to fit.
But once again -rear tie-downs are easy to make, but I did not see any better way than send TL $350 for front set.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
We are talking about a 1,000 pound camper here but here is a question for a 2600 pound camper and Brophies or Tork-lift..

Question:
Can this hold down a 2600 pound camper on a F250 SD safely? My dealer says the only safe mount is a tork lift and not a pocket mounted hold down. I am getting ready to go to Alaska for the summer and dont want to lose it.

asked by: David H

Expert Reply:
The Brophy Camper Tie Downs, part # TDSF are a universal application for full-size trucks and they will fit a Ford F-250 Super Duty. The hardware to mount the tie downs to the vehicle is included.

I would also recommend the Brophy Camper Tie Downs, part # HSSF which is a more heavy duty tie down. The tie downs wrap around the bed, not in the stake pockets, and are mounted inside the bed. They will not work with a slide-in bed liner.

There is no weight capacity rating on the camper tie downs and they will work for any camper size that is properly sized for your vehicle. The weight capacity will be on the Brophy Camper Tie Down Hardware Package, part # TDHP that is used to attach the camper to the tie downs. The hardware package has a weight capacity of 3,000 lbs.

If the above mentioned camper tie downs are installed properly on your vehicle you will have no safety problems with your camper on your vehicle.

The Tork Lift design of camper tie downs would be the best type of tie down you could use. They bolt to the vehicles frame and are vehicle specific.

If you give me the year and bed size of your Ford F-250 Super Duty I will be able to help you get the correct Tork Lift tie downs. I will also need to know, for the rear tie downs, if you have a factory hitch or an aftermarket hitch on your vehicle and for the front tie downs if you have running boards that extend past the truck cab onto the truck bed.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
On newer trucks, the sheet metal used on the truck bed is just too tin to use an anchor point for your turn buckles. Use the provided anchors in the bed or find a way to attach to the truck frame.

It seems lot's of people think the same but E-Trailer says it is just fine..This is another question on e-trailer about the Brophy type tie downs and a 2018 Ford with the aluminum bed..

e-trailer wrote:
Question:
Will these tie downs with the aluminum bed of the new super duty trucks?

asked by: Jordan

Expert Reply:
You can use the Brophy Clamp On Camper Tie-Downs # HSAB for your 2018 Ford F-350 Super Duty but we actually recommend going with the Camper Tie-Downs # HSSF instead as they have a slightly different design that better fits your Super Duty. Attached are dimensional photos of each for you to reference with your application. You will notice that one, part # HSAB, has an extra bend towards the end where you attach your tie-downs.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04