cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED running lights

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So after many months of hunting for a roundtooit, I finally found one & went & bought LED bulbs for the trailer brake & reversing lights to replace the OEMs.

They don't work. Yes, replacement part numbers match.

We were under time pressure so out came the LEDs & back in went the originals. A battle to be fought another day.

Any ideas? Got about $60 worth of LEDs & I want to use them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
7 REPLIES 7

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to me I have the 1157 base. Can't check right now. Trailer is in MD. I am in Bermuda so it will have to wait a few weeks.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
INFAMOUS SCANDAL OVER 3157 LED STOPLAMP BULB!

Vendors listed in writing the bulbs are a direct replacement for standard incandescent 3157 bulbs that function BOTH for a tail and stop/turn lamps.

THEY LIE their ass off in writing to customer direct inquiries about the bulbs compatibility.

So beware before buying. When Detroit decided to abandon 1157 and 1156 bulb bases they opened the door to this fustercluck world of "It fits upside down".

This warning comes from the world of reality, not conjecture. It applies to 1156 1157 duty 3156 and 3157 bulbs.

Years ago the FTC and DOT would have issued warnings. Now they issue politically correct propaganda.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
What bulbs are you using, I think that there was a problem with using some of the bulbs like the 921 as the can be installed two ways. One is backwards electronically, pulled out and rotated 180 degrees and reinstalled and they work.

I know I had that problem with my recessed lights in the entryway to the S&B.

I've got to order some of those for spares.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Polarity eh? OK, will try that. The object of the exercise is to get somewhat brighter lights. Common red lenses that are sort of dark. Situation made worse when coated with road dirt. Always trying to upgrade this & that. This was supposed to be a dead easy job till Murphy showed up to help.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Polarity!
I would test the LED units. Use a set of light wires a couple feet long. Connect one end to a battery power source, touch the negative to the shell of lights and tap the positive side to center contact. Lights should work. If not reverse the leads, if they now work, then your system is reversed in trailer.
If they do not work, return them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
I would return them, get a refund, and roll with the incandescents before I would start breaking loose caulk and butyl tape to gain access to the pigtails, for reversing the leads.

I see little benefit to LED for running lights unless one is worried about how much power is being used while traveling, or are one of the clowns that needs to have them lit up all night in the campground.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
LEDs are polarity sensitive, incandescent bulbs are not. Try swapping the leads to the nonfunctioning LEDs.

Beyond that, it's standard electrical troubleshooting. Do the lights work when you test them in isolation with a 12V power source? Is power getting through the wires to them? Is your trailer connector solidly connected to the tow vehicle? and so on.