cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 diode isolation with Invisibrake System

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My Apollo brake system was stolen and my former towed died after only 24 years as a towed, so here I am deciding what to install in the new towed and how to wire the rear lights. Because my towed has amber turn signals and my Supplemental Breaking System senses the activation of the brake lights to activate the SBS, I needed a brake relay kit so the towed lights didn't over ride the turn signals.

I had installed the relay in another towed and it was a pain in the butt to do and I didn't want install the relay. I remembered that I had read somewhere about a simple way of splitting off the RV's brake system by adding a third pair of diodes and utilizing the amber turn signal lights of the towed.

So for those of you that want to use the OEM lights and have the amber turn signal lights, here is a simple way to do it.

I found on Amazon Prime that I can buy 8 Hopkins diodes for about $20 less than 4 of the Roadmaster diodes and have two spares for whatever. They are every bit as functional as the Roadmaster diodes.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
9 REPLIES 9

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
So the Susuki leaves the vehicle battery connected while being towed? Obviously, if the vehicle battery is disconnected then there is no issue withe the activation of the towed brake lights. have you considered jst disconnecting the battery or pulling the brake light fuse(s)?

In answer to your question, yes to that, the invisibrake will keep the towed vehicle charged if your tail lights are on. In my case it should not be a problem.

I have found, however, that instructions for the six diode system really are less than helpful. I've been in and out of the labs for years and their nomenclature is simple but not really too awful clear.
so far the lights are working as specified. Tomorrow, the vacuum and electrical part of the controller.controller and
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the Suzuki battery stays connected. Power from the MH could backfeed into the toad'c computer system.
The six diode setup should prevent it. Since different companies recommend same set up it must work.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
So the Susuki leaves the vehicle battery connected while being towed? Obviously, if the vehicle battery is disconnected then there is no issue withe the activation of the towed brake lights. have you considered jst disconnecting the battery or pulling the brake light fuse(s)?
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that suggestion, I kind of like the thought as I need to tap the brake light wire for the SBS. I found it adjacent to the SBS install location and tapped off there.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It was just a suggestion! I was able to put relay in left taillght. Been too long ago!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I answered that in the original post and my answer to your original post. It is avery difficult job to work under the dash of a Suzi and I'm 79 years old. There isn't any eazy way to install the relayor a swict. I really don't think it is complicated, I did stuff like that when I was working. Adding a SBS to a towed is by itself a fairly easy task if you can keep the two brake/tail light systems straight.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You said you had installed the brakelight relay on prior vehicle, why not do it on new?
I just hate to install diodes and other devices that makes system so complex.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Why not wire the red turn signals on MH into the brake lights in the toad?

The SBS I am buying ativates the brakes and the towed's brake lights, if I am signaling for a turn using the rigs turn signals and the SBS is activated, the toweds brake lights will override the turn signals.

I could pull the fuse or put a switch in the brakelight line or the aforementioned relay but I choose not to. Also it's easier to do and looks cool.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why not wire the red turn signals on MH into the brake lights in the toad?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow