Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Atwood Water Heater Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood Water Heater Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jbrack

california

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was recently at an RV park that had power but no park water. I was operation off my fresh water holding tank which according to the gauge had over 1/3 of a tank. The gauge was apparently inaccurate and I ran the system dry while washing dishes. I inadvertently did not shut off the electric heater switch for an extended period of time. Now my water does not heat and I believe I burned out the heating element due to lack of water in the tank. I thought I would simply switch over to propane to heat water but it will not fire up. It doesn't even click and attempt to light. My question: Are the two heating methods not separate from each other? Would burning out my electric heating element affect the ability of the propane heater to operate?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something is missing here, did you drain the water tank? I don't think running the fresh water tank empty, would drain the water heater. The pump would just suck air, not pump out the water heater.

IIRC, the Atwood heaters share a reset electric/gas.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since 2004 Atwood combo WHs use common DC to control both electric & propane heating functions
Running out of water in fresh water tank would NOT empty the WH Tank....

Common DC from a FUSED source goes to Both On/OFF switches then to the common circuit board
Did the RED Fault Light come on?

*Check the DC Dist Panel Fuse that supplies WH with DC...
*Check the 2A DC fuse ON the WH Circuit Board
*Check the 'thermal fuse' (in the clear tubing) that is connected to T-stat via Brwon Wire (Remove from circuit abd plug brown wire directly onto T-stat to test if WH will come on (One shot thermal fuse)

Those items are common and would prevent either heat source from functioning

Use a Voltmeter to follow the DC...........
[image]

No 'resets' on WH except for Fault Light/Lock out (turn On/Off switch OFF---wait 30 sec---turn ON)

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

jbrack

california

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Since 2004 Atwood combo WHs use common DC to control both electric & propane heating functions
Running out of water in fresh water tank would NOT empty the WH Tank....

Common DC from a FUSED source goes to Both On/OFF switches then to the common circuit board
Did the RED Fault Light come on?

*Check the DC Dist Panel Fuse that supplies WH with DC...
*Check the 2A DC fuse ON the WH Circuit Board
*Check the 'thermal fuse' (in the clear tubing) that is connected to T-stat via Brwon Wire (Remove from circuit abd plug brown wire directly onto T-stat to test if WH will come on (One shot thermal fuse)

Those items are common and would prevent either heat source from functioning

Use a Voltmeter to follow the DC...........
[image]

No 'resets' on WH except for Fault Light/Lock out (turn On/Off switch OFF---wait 30 sec---turn ON)

You Sir...are a genius....it was the 2 amp fuse on the circuit boarx...back in service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood Water Heater Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS