Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Keeping fridge cool in high 90s temps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keeping fridge cool in high 90s temps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Nicodemus

Hoodsport WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently in Waterflow NM and the temps are hovering in the mid to upper 90s. My Norcold 2118X isn't happy. There's no room for a fan to circulate the air. Any ideas for shade? I was thinking, as a temp measure, taping a piece of cardboard to provide shade. It won't look pretty but since so far I've had to replace the board inside and had to have the computer reset I'm not concerned with pretty.

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My methods are positioning the TT to avoid afternoon sun, battery operated fan inside the fridge, making sure the chimney is clear and adding a fan to pull air out the chimney.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

bdpreece

Yuma Arizona / Oregon Traveler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your frig in a slide? If so you will probably have two access doors so you can remove the lower one when parked to get a little more air flow. Next if in a slide do you have a slide topper? If not get a small tarp and cover the top of the slide and slope it down to shade the side of the RV. Best your going to get short of getting a box fan and putting it so it blows into the bottom access area.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a rectangular "shade sail" at Harbor Freight and rigged one edge to attach to the top edge of the slide and pull the opposite edge out at an angle to attach to tent pegs. The shade on the side of the trailer helps the fridge a lot.

I also try whenever possible to set up so the kitchen side is facing East or North; away from the afternoon sun.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically, this means a Norcold is installed wrong.

There are very specific installation instructions on how big the vents need to be as well as how big and what geometry the "chimney" is.

Unfortunately, if you don't follow those to a T, the Norcold can under perform.

I've had all my Norcolds over the years in well over 100F temps keeping ice cream frozen and foods cold.

You may have to fix the bad install to get the proper performance.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it's hot I usually run the fridge on propane. I have two little battery operated fans one for inside the fridge and the other one for the outside compartment. I also turn the temperature up to eight.
This is our second Norcold refrigerator. The first one last 8 months. Norcold ended up replacing the cooling system. I ended up getting a 4 year warranty.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Nicodemus

Hoodsport WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, all. I'd turn the rig if I could, but the little park we're in only has sites set up so that one side is to the east and the fridge slide out is to the west, so it gets the worst of the temps and sun. I'll go check Harbor Freight for one of those shade sails. It's got to be better than a piece of cardboard! The fridge was installed - I didn't do anything to modify it - and the door is one large piece with 3 rows of venting openings. But I'll speak to the tech guy in the AO and see if there's a fix he can recommend. Started putting the fridge on propane too, but as I said the compartment is too shallow to accommodate a fan. Thanks all!

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

I got a rectangular "shade sail" at Harbor Freight and rigged one edge to attach to the top edge of the slide and pull the opposite edge out at an angle to attach to tent pegs. The shade on the side of the trailer helps the fridge a lot.

I also try whenever possible to set up so the kitchen side is facing East or North; away from the afternoon sun.

My neighbors here in FL have done the same thing. First time I have ever seen such but it must work.
Proper installation of RV refrigerators is paramount in the performance of them. Often times, the proper clearances, etc., have not been followed which will result in poor performance.

Personally, I was so disgusted with my Norcold I ditched it for residential over 5 years ago. Never once have I regretted it.

* This post was edited 08/17/19 01:52pm by pcm1959 *

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a bag o ice.
I don't even turn the fridge on before we go camping for the weekend.
We freeze water bottles
They not only cool the fridge quickly but I also don't have to turn the fridge past #4.
I also have one of those mini fans by the coils
I have a 4 door and if it's a short weekend I have a sheet of styrofoam cutout to block off the lower part of the fridge.
Biggest thing I've found is plan ahead and try not to open the door too much.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few questions...
*are the INTERNAL Fans operating (1/freezer & 1/food compartment)
DC power from P4 2 pin connector (pin 1) far bottom right on circuit board

*are the EXTERNAL FANS running (P1 10 pin connector -- pin 5) DC goes to t-stat then to the Fans

Suggestion:
Unplug thermistor leads (temp sensor on 2nd fin in food comaprtment) and let fridge run W/O temp control (set tp MAX temp setting ---then if food comaprtment gets to cold you can lower the temp setting ----operates on Backup Operating Suystem which is 'timed base' vs temp based

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keeping fridge cool in high 90s temps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS