Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

retained fumes in garage?

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I'm currently considering getting a toy hauler and have a concern regarding retained fumes in the garage from carrying gasoline powered toys in there.

I would have occasion to put some stand up PWC (two strokes) in there and I know when I leave those in my garage at home for a significant time they tend to leave the entire garage smelling of fuel....including any laundry present.

The garage would be the play and bedroom for my grandchildren, but the potential for a similar experience with fuel fumes absorbing into the garage walls/ceiling/floor/beds leaves me leery of going this route and exposing them to those fumes.

Any real world experiences with this potential issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
hbski
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL
8 REPLIES 8

Y-Guy
If your toys leak and you are not proactive about it you may have issues. Clean up quickly or put something down and you would be fine.

We always shut the fuel off in our toys. I had to flip one of our ATVs to stand up so I drained the fuel and ran until dry. What little fuel leaked was quickly cleaned up with full strength Simple Green. During the loading and shortly after we ran the garage fan, again never had any issues.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two different toy haulers over 8 years, 6 different ATVs and never had fuel smell from any of them over thousands of miles.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I've learned that I never have a fuel odor problem as long as I don't load the toys hot. On the bikes and wheelers, the engine heats the fuel tank and pushes fumes out of the breather. Load them cooled/cold and there isn't a problem.

My dirt bike can sit in there over a week without issue. Load my FI street bike when hot and it'll stink...

On our last day of riding, we shower and clean up, then load the bikes last right before we leave.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We have hauled our Goldwing full-time for the last 5 years and never had a gas odor in the garage.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
My toyhauler has a separate closed garage with no furniture to get stunk up. The loft bed is part of the living space. (Carriage C-Force). It has opposing vents that can be opened to pressurize the garage when under way and a Fantastic fan in the ceiling. And two awning windows. And a seal around the garage to kitchen door. The fuel tanks are external.

Constant ventilation is the key.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
put a vent fan in ,kep the air moving.

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, they do not leak gasoline directly, but being nearly 30 years old, they do not have a closed venting system like a newer motorcycle or other power sport toy is likely to have.

So particularly they would almost certainly vent fumes with thermal cycling of the interior space over day/night, as well as while traveling over bumps and such.
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, if you're storing leaking gasoline powered vehicles in your garage, yes it will smell like gas. If you vehicles don't leak then you'll have no odors. I have never noticed any smell whatsoever when we travel and take both motorcycles with us. And this is not in a separate garage.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"